'THE BOY IS THE FATHER OF THE MAN': MORAL PANIC OVER WORKING-CLASS YOUTH, 1850 TO THE PRESENT
- The Busy Class. // Wilson Quarterly;Spring2006, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p84
An excerpt from the article "Busyness as the Badge of Honor for the New Superordinate Working Class," by Jonathan Gershuny in the Summer 2005 issue of "Social Research" is presented.
- The Invisible Class. // Wilson Quarterly;Spring2006, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p86
An excerpt from the article "The Dispossessed," by William Deresiewicz in the winter 2006 issue of "The American Scholar" is presented.
- Down and out in the class war. Moore, Suzanne // New Statesman;12/18/98-12/25/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4416, p9
Discusses the identity of a working class. Reasons for the mockery of traditional notions of working-class life; Characteristics of working-class hero; Grim representatives of working-class existence.
- SECTION II: LESISURE AND POPULAR FASHION: THE INDEPENDENT REPUBLIC OF FOOTBALL: THE POLITICS OF NEIGHBORHOOD CLUBS IN SANTIAGO, CHILE, 1948-1960. Elsey, Brenda // Journal of Social History;Spring2009, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p605
The article focuses on the impact of barrio football clubs in Santiago, Chile on working-class neighborhoods. Amateur sports clubs in the region have created a magnetic icon of the popular barrio or neighborhood football player that become a charismatic symbol of working-class ingenuity and...
- Boy talk: Critical literacy and masculinities. Young, Josephine Peyton // Reading Research Quarterly;Jul-Sep2000, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p312
Presents information on a study which described, interpreted and explained the changes in four young adolescent boy's awareness of how masculinity constructs and is constructed by texts, written or spoken. Methodology of the study; Results and discussion on the study.
- Evaluation of the Psychometric Properties of the Male Role Norms Inventory-Adolescent (MRI-A). Levant, Ronald F.; Graef, Stephen T.; Smalley, K. Bryant; Williams, Christine; McMillian, Neil // Thymos: Journal of Boyhood Studies;Spring2008, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p46
Data were collected on samples of American (N = 172) and Scottish (N = 264) adolescents to evaluate the scale reliability and construct validity of an adolescent version of Levant et al.'s (1992) Male Role Norms Inventory. Results indicate that the MRNI-A showed good overall internal consistency...
- Working class 'aspiration gap.'. // Adults Learning;Jan2009, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p4
The article focuses on a British Cabinet Office report which indicates that living in working-class areas, especially in former industrial towns and cities, may stop young people from reaching their potential. The report found that young people's hopes for their future varied by gender,...
- The contradictions of class and ideology among Argentine laborers and employees. Ranis, Peter // Studies in Comparative International Development;Winter91, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p3
Compares Argentine trade union laborers' and employees' notions of class and ideology. Variety of social-democratic, liberal and conservative values and attitudes carried by the Argentine working class; Peronism as the ideological anchor of many workers; Impact of historical connections,...
- SOCIOLOGY. H. W. // America;5/3/1913, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p92
The article focuses on the building of homes for the working classes in New York. The French example given reportedly cannot be copied exactly and that it is practical to acquire suburban lands for the purpose. It is stated that the money for city parks could be spent efficiently in this way and...