Keeping Eyes on the Buys
- Virginia Considers Closing Three Prisons. Harry, Jennifer L. // Corrections Today;Oct2002, Vol. 64 Issue 6, p17
Reports on the plan of the Virginia Department of Corrections to close three prisons in December 2002. List of the prisons; Reason for the plan; Cost-savings from the closure.
- Taking a balanced approach to media access. Angelone, Ron // Corrections Today;Feb98, Vol. 60 Issue 1, p21
Highlights the balanced approach to correctional management in Virginia. Requirements for maintaining order in prison; Information on the Virginia Department of Corrections (DOC); Reason for not allowing cameras in prison.
- AGING & CHRONIC CARE. // Corrections Forum;May/Jun2010, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p18
The article explores how the U.S. prison system is addressing the aging and chronic care crisis. The Virginia Department of Correction (DOC) uses the Deerfield Correctional Center for its aging male inmates. The Florida DOC has two facilities to house elderly male inmates and one for aging...
- Food Service Certification Programs. // Corrections Forum;May/Jun2014, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p44
The article discusses the correctional food service certification program, aimed at training inmates to earn ServSafe certificate, restaurant industry's top food-related safety standard, as a means to reduce recidivism. It discusses In2Work vocational training program of food support provider...
- How prison operators are cutting costs. // FoodService Director;10/15/97, Vol. 10 Issue 10, p82
Looks at the cost control measure introduced on food service providers for the prison system in the United States. Reference to the role of the American Correctional F/S Association; Impact of shipping costs on overall service costs.
- TEACHING HOPE BEHIND BARS. Cutshall, Sandy // Techniques: Connecting Education & Careers;Feb2001, Vol. 76 Issue 2, p22
Reports on vocational education opportunities for prison inmates in Virginia. Starting point for new lives and becoming law-abiding, productive citizens; State's concept of 'fighting crime through education'; Vocational programs of the Department of Correctional Education.
- Region II Teacher of the Year. // Journal of Correctional Education;Sep2010, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p263
The article profiles teacher Richard Nelson, who works at the Virginia Department of Correctional Education for 11 years. Nelson joined the Department of Correctional Education and gained various accomplishments including the organization of the plumbing curriculum and operation of his classes...
- News Btiefs. Gormsen, Lia // Corrections Compendium;Spring2009, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p41
The article offers new briefs related to probation in the U.S. The number of inmates 50 years old and older has increased from 2,015 in 1999 to 4,700 in 2009 in Virginia. The publication Stateline.org has reported that states in the country are dealing with budget shortfalls which include cost...
- Planning Services for Elderly Inmates With Mental Illness. Cox, Judith F.; Lawrence, James E. // Corrections Today;Jun2010, Vol. 72 Issue 3, p52
The article focuses on the development of corrections programs for mentally ill elderly prison inmates. It comments on the need for early detection of mental illness to minimize management costs and facilitate appropriate care. It talks about appropriate mental health treatment of elderly...