Logistics firms hurt by strike
- Watch for Port Delays in Brazil. // World Trade;Jul99, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p16
Talks about strikes and work slowdowns in Brazilian ports. Need to take possible delays into account when planning shipments; Information on a pay dispute involving customs workers and the Brazilian government.
- MONTREAL BACK TO WORK. Tower, Courtney // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);8/2/2010, Vol. 11 Issue 31, p28
The article reports that shippers are looking at alternative gateways despite the end to an employers' lockout at the Port of Montreal in Canada. During the lockout in July 2010, operators diverted five ships to the Port of Halifax, Nova Scotia which are remote from the established landside...
- L.A. strike backlog. Brennan, Terry // Traffic World;07/21/97, Vol. 251 Issue 3, p46
Reports on a strike of port pilots belonging to the Longshore & Warehouse Union that closed the Los Angeles port in California. Reopening of port after judge ordered removal of pickets; Impact of strike on holiday shopping season; Concessions sought by pilots.
- Ports Authority employees threaten to strike. Leaf, Cindy // Caribbean Business;7/15/1993, Vol. 21 Issue 28, p7
Reports on the threat of unionized employees of the Puerto Rico Ports Authority to strike. Ports Authority Executive Director Carlos Diaz Olivo's attempts to eliminate an acquired right established in their current contract; Right to a hearing before suspension of an employee; Suspension with...
- Strike at the Port of LA. // Transportation & Distribution;Sep97, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p16
Reports on the strike at the Port of Los Angeles, California, by the Port's pilots during mid-July to August, 1997. Date the pilots walked off the job; Demands made by the pilots; One of the major issues surrounding the strike; Impact which the strike had on the Port.
- L.A. harbor pilots return to work. Saccomano, Ann // Traffic World;12/08/97, Vol. 252 Issue 10, p21
Reports on the cessation of the strike by pilots at the Port of Los Angeles, California, on November 25th, 1997. Reason for the strike; When the strike began; Factor attributed to the ending of the strike; What the strike coincided with.
- Industry activates backups to UPS. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;8/5/1997, Vol. 174 Issue 25, p5
Reports on the apparel industry's creation of contingency plans following the strike at the United Parcel Service (UPS). Impact of the strike on the apparel and shipping industry; Update on the negotiation between UPS and the union of drivers; Lands' End's alerting of its customers of a...
- Ship bosses treating seafarers like prisoners. Walton, Geoff // Green Left Weekly;3/9/2011, Issue 871, p5
The article reports on the protest conducted by 100 maritime workers and community members on March 4, 2011 at Victoria Quay in Fremantle, western Australia that demands the federal and state government act in support of the human rights of the crew of the Bader III sheep carrier.
- We must break this losing streak. Trunick, Perry A. // Transportation & Distribution;Jun94, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p9
Editorial. Discusses the losses incurred by different sectors resulting from tactics used in strike actions in the logistics environment. Carriers; Shippers; Non-union workers; Teamsters; Union management; Importers and exporters; Customers.