Maine Gov. Drops Referendum Plans, Facing Lack of Support
- Governor's $175 Million Plan Would Be Maine's Largest Bonding in Decades. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;4/4/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31608, p3
With the dilatory release of his $175 million bond package as of April 4, 2003, Maine's governor John Baldacci has proposed the highest borrowing for the state during a single legislative session in at least two decades. According to figures from Thomson Financial, the state has not issued debt...
- Keeping Watch on a Modest Recovery. Larkin, Gary // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p12
Focuses on the state of public finance in Maine, led by Governor John E. Baldacci. Possible downgrade of the state's bond rating by Moody's Investor Service; Top issuers in the state and its spending priorities; Deficits faced by the state's general fund budget; Statement of state Treasurer...
- Governor Supports Maine CU Efforts. // Credit Union Journal;11/24/2003, Vol. 7 Issue 47, p3
Reports on the support given by U.S. Governor John Baldacci to Maine's credit unions. Aim of the Maine's credit union.
- Maine Governor Calls Lawmakers to Special Session on Bonding, School Aid. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;7/24/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31684, p4
Reports that John Baldacci, governor of Maine, has called a special session during the month of August, 2003 to settle dispute on proposed economic development bonds and state funding for school aid in Maine. Reason behind calling the special session; Amount for economic development proposed by...
- Maine Governor Unveils 2-Year Transportation Plan, Including $75 Million of Debt. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;4/2/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31606, p3
Maine Governor John Baldacci introduced the second of four bond ballot initiatives that will be put before the state Legislature, a 622 million dollars two-year transportation plan that includes 75 million dollars of state borrowing. The Democratic governor's plan, released on March 31, 2003...
- Maine Governor Wants Voters to See $70M Package in June, Not November. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;3/18/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31595, p32
Reports on the efforts of Maine governor John Baldacci to speed-up the $70 million economic development bond package as of March 18, 2003. Highlights of the bond package; Budget deficit of the state.
- NORTHEAST Bond-Watch. Vadum, Matthew; Piazza, Johanna; Newman, Emily; D'Ambrosio, Gillian; McDonald, Michael; Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;2/23/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31826, p35
Presents news briefs related to government bonds in the U.S. as of February 2004. Maine Governor John Baldacci's release of details of his $120 million bond proposal; Maryland Community Development Administration's plan to sell local government infrastructure bonds.
- Maine to Vote on $89 Million in Debt. // Bond Buyer;8/26/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31706, p4
Reports that Maine residents will vote on a $ 89.4 million bond package in November 2003, as approved by legislature. Comments for the spokesman of Maine's governor John Baldacci; Way in which the amount will be spent.
- The Politics of Debt. Cataldo, Adam L. // Bond Buyer;8/16/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31948, p35
Reports on Maine Governor John Baldacci's presentation of his proposal for a bond referendum which calls for issuing $40 million in new debt. Need for a two-thirds majority in both chambers to approve any bond referendum proposal before it can be presented to voters in fall 2004.