Some Friendly Advice
- Blazin' Fire Board. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2007, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p9
This section offers a look at the implementation of the Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) at various fire departments in Minnesota to help fire fighters cope up with stress. Dale Specken, chief of the Hopkins Fire Department, reveals that an anonymous counseling program is provided to...
- Stress - The Mind, Body Connection. Sherek, Becky // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2006, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p41
Offers tips for firefighters on how to cope with the emotional, physical and mental stress of their work and personal life. Need for firefighters to have a general knowledge of the factors affecting health and wellness; Major health concern among firefighters; Physical demands and dangers...
- MONKEY BUSINESS. McLaughlin, Sabrina // Current Science;10/10/2003, Vol. 89 Issue 4, p6
The present article gives information on the research conducted on baboons, by Robert Sapolsky, a professor of biology and neurology at Stanford University. Sapolsky observes that baboons who cope best with stress have something in common which we humans might take note of. Life in a baboon...
- Learning to Celebrate and Cope With Professional Success, Workplace Challenges. WHITTEN, LISA; ANDERSON, LINDA // Diverse: Issues in Higher Education;1/21/2010, Vol. 26 Issue 25, p19
The authors, African-American clinical psychologists, discuss the effects of stress on high-achieving professionals of color and ways to address the issue. Problems include feelings of tokenism, being ignored, or being treated as exceptional for doing things that are taken for granted for...
- Oblomov's syndrome. Dunea, George // British Medical Journal;6/3/1978, Vol. 1 Issue 6125, p1467
Focuses on the deleterious effects of stress. Influence of periodic computer failures on ulcers, insomnia and nightmares of air controllers; Development of mental fatigue, anxiety and depression in teachers; Classical features of depression.
- 10 Simple Ways to Manage Stress. Posen, David B. // Review of Ophthalmology;Aug2000, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p39
Enumerates ten simple ways to manage stress. Decrease or discontinue caffeine; Regular exercise; Sleep; Relaxation/meditation; Time-outs and leisure; Realistic expectations; Reframing; Belief systems; Ventilation/support system; Humor.
- 'Audit' Your Stress to Control It. // Body Bulletin;Jan1992, p1
Focuses on ways to control stress-related disorders. Identification of factors causing stress; Categorization of factors; Need to gain control over certain stressors.
- Stress management--making time, making laughter. McMullen, Dorothy A. // Pennsylvania CPA Journal;Fall99, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p17
Discusses stress management. Definition of stress and its causes; Managing and reducing stress.
- Town & Country's Guide to Coping With Stress. Sedgwick, John; Marshall, Jamie; Freed, Janet Carlson; Guernsey, Diane; Merrell, Kathy; Glusker, Anne // Town & Country;Jul2001, Vol. 155 Issue 5254, p117
Discusses the physiology of stress and how to manage it.