MAKING THE ROUNDS
- New Video Conferencing Keeps Rochester Fire Department. Werch, Mike // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2008, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p50
The article discusses the video conferencing system adopted in 2008 by the Rochester Fire Department (RFD) in their training sessions. It is cited that training was previously conducted in a central location where attending firefighters may be miles away from their station jeopardizing emergency...
- DETERMINING THE HAZARD AREA OF DOWNED FIREFIGHTERS. Kramer III, Frank L. // Fire Engineering;Oct2004, Vol. 157 Issue 10, p22
Discusses the use of the Red, Yellow, Green System for determining the hazard area of downed firefighters for rapid intervention team operations. Hazards encountered by firefighters in the red zone; Factors that influence firefighter survival in the yellow zone; Considerations in rescuing a...
- TIGHT MOVES. Rhea, Robert // Fire Chief;Jan2010, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p42
The article discusses the escape-procedure planning, rapid intervention team (RIT) actions and trapped-rescuer action planning that are crucial to confine space operations of firefighters. It states that air line failure that would require the entrant to vacate the confined space quickly should...
- GETTING BETTER, NOT BITTER. Staley, Mike // Fire Engineering;Nov2001, Vol. 154 Issue 11, p93
Comments on the need for improvement in the organization of fire fighters in New York. Respect for the seriousness of the life-saving service from fire departments; Way to ensure the safety among fire fighters; Show of professionalism among fire fighters.
- Life Savers. Demianiuk, Danielle // 21st Century;Jan2000, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p14
The author offers her views on the bravery of firefighters. She says that six firefighters died in Worcester, Massachusetts in December 1999 while trying to save lives, but they will be remembered by the communities they served and the lives they have saved. She claims that being a firefighter...
- Training in Iraq. // Crisis Response Journal;Sep2009, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p7
The article reports on the training of unpaid volunteer firefighters to prepare them on how to perform rescue operation and to battle fires as part of the programme for the Iraq Civil Defence Directorate in Iraq.
- Thank a Firefighter! Cully, Christine French // Highlights;Oct2014, Vol. 69 Issue 10, p4
The author extends her gratitude to the volunteer firefighters and emergency workers in their community.
- Single-family home destroyed by fire. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);8/12/2015, Vol. 28 Issue 31, p1
A photograph of a single-family home in Lake Whitney, Texas destroyed by fire on August 8, 2015 is presented.
- Creative funding for your department's dream project. Plumlee, J.A. // Fire Engineering;Apr99, Vol. 152 Issue 4, p41
Details how the establishment of a Fire Rescue Fire Academy recruit school in Desoto, Texas has helped the city fire department raise funds for its dream project of developing a drill field for the career department. Background on the school; Assistance received from the community; Future...