- FIREFIGHTERS: PROSOCIAL RISK TAKING AND TIME ORIENTATION. PRÓCHNIAK, PIOTR // Social Behavior & Personality: an international journal;2014, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p253
The aim in this study was to identify the time orientation of firefighters. The sample consisted of 71 firefighters (M age = 35.1 years, SD = 4.8) and 66 social workers, representing a group working in a low-risk environment (Mage = 33.2 years, SD = 5.9). The participants completed the Temporal...
- Quick, Quick, Quick, and Quicker. Brunacini, Alan // Fire Engineering;Apr2008, Vol. 161 Issue 4, p264
The author reflects on the importance of urgent and discretionary time management in achieving effective, survivable and operational fire rescue operations. He cites a fire emergency-related story which illustrates that emergency callers have different view of urgency with that of firefighters....
- Training in Iraq. // Crisis Response Journal;Sep2009, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p7
The article reports on the training of unpaid volunteer firefighters to prepare them on how to perform rescue operation and to battle fires as part of the programme for the Iraq Civil Defence Directorate in Iraq.
- Thank a Firefighter! Cully, Christine French // Highlights;Oct2014, Vol. 69 Issue 10, p4
The author extends her gratitude to the volunteer firefighters and emergency workers in their community.
- Single-family home destroyed by fire. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);8/12/2015, Vol. 28 Issue 31, p1
A photograph of a single-family home in Lake Whitney, Texas destroyed by fire on August 8, 2015 is presented.
- FIREFIGHTERS' 10 DEADLY SINS OF THE FIREGROUND. Comstock Jr., David C.; Maxwell, Scott // Fire Engineering;Jan2004, Vol. 157 Issue 1, p105
Focuses on behaviors and actions of fire fighters operating on the fireground that will likely increase the risk of injury or death. Disregard for the automobile seat belt; Neglect of an initial size-up of the type of occupancy involved and its type of construction; Operations beyond the reach...
- Training Programs Matter for Today's Changing Fire Service. RHOADES, JAKE // Fire Engineering;Apr2015, Vol. 168 Issue 4, p16
The article discusses the role played by training programs in changing fire service. Topics discussed include emergency response of fire department, how fire department can overcome time management issues, and the issues of culture encountered by fire department in association with the training...
- Forcible Entry Super-Sized Size-Up. Millerick, Shawn // Fire Engineering;Mar2008, Vol. 161 Issue 3, p26
The article discusses the tactics used in breaking through a highly improvised building security to rescue trapped civilians in the U.S. It is essential for a firefighter to familiarize the fire fighting tools in a certain firehouse. In responding to a fire call, fire fighters should determine...
- YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE A PLAN. Wallace, Mark // Fire Engineering;Aug2006, Vol. 159 Issue 8, p91
The article focuses on the importance of planning in fire prevention operations in the U.S. Planning to get measurable results within a defined time frame operational planning. Operational plans should be specific, measurable, achievable, results oriented, and time limited. Strategic planning...