- Turnout Gear. // Fire Chief;Jan2006, Vol. 50 Issue 1, Special section p3
The article focuses on Reaxtion, a protective clothing for firefighters from Cairns Protective Clothing in the United States. It consists of the Axtion knee and seat, Axtion sleeve and the Collarbreak Attachment System.
- Standard for Cover. Mangan, Dick // Wildfire;Mar/Apr2006, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p4
The author addresses some of the standards for wildland fire personal protective equipment (PPE) and why they are important. The author discusses the highlights of the "Into the firestorm," a four-part series on the Discovery Channel," which offered insights into the work of wildland...
- New developments for firefighters' protective clothing. Rossi, René // Technical Textiles / Technische Textilen;Mar2005, Vol. 48 Issue 1, pE45
Firefighters' protective clothing should protect the body from such external risks as heat, flames, chemicals and mechanical hazards, foul weather, etc. Nowadays, the protection provided by this equipment is usually sufficient. The goal of many new developments, therefore, is to improve the...
- Impact of Firefighter Protective Equipment and Firefighting Activity on Physiology and Biomechanics of Movement. Horn, Gavin // Proceedings of the Annual International Conference & Exhibition ;2014, p235
The article discusses a presentation on studies conducted by the Illinois Fire Service Institute on the impact of firefighting personal protective equipment design and firefighters' ability to operate safely as well as its interaction with the stresses of firefighting.
- Strong Cargo. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief;Jan2006, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p80
The article looks at the trend in protective clothing for structural firefighting in the United States. The change in stationwer is influenced by the incoming generation of firefighters who have grown up with the cargo- or drawstring-style of casual wear. Today's stationwer is designed to be...
- IN FABRICS, SAFETY STILL COMES FIRST. Young, Rich // Fire Chief;Aug2010, Vol. 54 Issue 8, p76
The article focuses on the importance of using fire-resistant materials in the protective clothing of firefighters in the U.S. Purchasing a fire resistant material needs to be evaluated in terms of cost, comfort and safety. The material must be affordable, comfortable and must protect the...
- Firefighters Check Their Gear. // Weekly Reader - Edition 2;10/3/2003, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p3
Presents information on the turnout gear of firefighters, the special clothing that keeps firefighters safe from fire. Components of the turnout gear.
- BLOW-UP. Brady, Mark // Fire Chief;Aug2004, Vol. 48 Issue 8, p76
Reports on the training program for fire service personnel in Maryland. Risk of burn-related injuries from the lack of personal protective equipment; Safety priority during emergency response; On-scene investigation of the fire explosion.
- Thermal performance and limitations of bunking gear. Lawson, J. Randall // Fire Engineering;Aug98, Vol. 151 Issue 8, p37
Studies the thermal performance and limitations of firefighters' protective clothing. Differences in responding to the three modes of heat transfer which include radiation and convection; Definition of thermal burns; Characteristics of firefighters' protective clothing and equipment...