High Tech Park Project Back on Track After Michigan High Court Ruling
- To Take or Not to Take. Walters, Jonathan // Governing;Oct2004, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p51
Reports on a 2004 ruling made by the Michigan Supreme Court which states that a government could not take private property by eminent domain that will be used for commercial redevelopment by a private entity. Reversal of the court's verdict on the Poletown Neighborhood Council v. Detroit case...
- OTHER VOICES: Eminent domain an important tool. Mogk, John // Crain's Detroit Business;1/30/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p9
The article reports that Michigan Legislature is expected to place tighter limits on eminent domain. The same thing was done by Michigan Supreme Court in County of Wayne v. Hathcock, where it prohibited eminent domain from being used to alleviate unemployment and revitalize the economic base of...
- This Land is Their Land. Ford, Ray // Harrowsmith Country Life (11908416);Jan/Feb99, Vol. 23 Issue 144, p40
Focuses on land expropriation, a process by which a government or public body forcibly acquires land to carry out a public purpose. People most likely to face expropriation; Basic purpose of the expropriation law; Advice on how to fight expropriation. INSETS: Case 1 Highway to Hell;Case 2 This...
- Recent Developments in the Eminent Domain Field. Miller, John D. // Appraisal Journal;Apr72, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p286
Reports on the efforts of the California Law Revision Commission to address the widespread dissatisfaction over eminent domain law in the state. Recommendations concerning the passage of title, evidence in eminent domain proceedings and reimbursement for moving expenses when property is...
- Expropriation: Who pulls the strings? Holt, Ed; Pisarova, Martina // Slovak Spectator;11/13/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 43, Special Section pI
Discusses controversy on the expropriation of land from private owners to house investors in Slovakia. Purpose of the expropriation; Legal aspect of land expropriation.
- condemnation. // ICSC Dictionary of Shopping Center Terms;2005, p29
A definition of the term "condemnation," as used in the legal setting, is presented.
- Imperial Beach: City Seeks Big Plan in Palm of Hands. Graves, Brad // San Diego Business Journal;5/7/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 19, p19
The article reports the plan of the Imperial Beach City to use eminent domain in acquiring a shopping center on the south side of the Palm Avenue in California. The City Council considers the legal action and strategy for the property negotiations to the Dimenstein family who is the largest...
- Court puts everything up for sale. Sandefur, Timothy // Las Vegas Business Press (10712186);7/25/2005, Vol. 22 Issue 30, p4
Comments on the abuse of eminent domain by local governments in the U.S. Rationale of governments for reselling public land to private developers; Impact of the eminent domain abuse on homeowners; Development projects in public land.
- Upcoming Ballot Measures Go Beyond Eminent Domain. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/28/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32433, p1
The article reports on the United States Supreme Court' decision in "Kelo v. New London, Conn." which upholds the government's ability to seize private property for economic development. The Supreme Court's decision has sparked popular sentiment against such uses of eminent domain. The article...