The inappropriate use of carotid endarterectomy
- Carotid Surgery Following Previous Carotid Endartectomy Is Safe and Effective. Abou-Zamzam Jr., Ahmed M.; Moneta, Gregory L.; Landry, Gregory J.; Yeager, Ricahrd A.; Edwards, James M.; McConnell, Donald B.; Taylor Jr., Lloyd M.; Porter, John M. // Vascular & Endovascular Surgery;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p263
Presents a review of a prospectively acquired vascular registry over a ten-year period to identify patients undergoing repeat carotid surgery following previous carotid endarterectomy (CEA). Background on the role of CEA in the treatment of extracranial carotid artery stenosis; Medical history...
- Factors Related to Short Length of Stay After Carotid Endarterectomy. Hernandez, Nathalie; Salles-Cunha, Sergio X. // Vascular & Endovascular Surgery;Nov/Dec2002, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p425
In the past decade, expected in-hospital length of stay (LOS) after carotid endarterectomy (CEA) has decreased from 4 days to 1. Long LOS is associated with known complications and factors affecting severity of the patient's condition. Factors affecting an intermediate stay of 2 to 4 days need...
- Endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. Irvine, Craig D.; Baird, Roger N. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/28/95, Vol. 311 Issue 7013, p1113
Editorial. Compares the performance of carotid artery endarterectomy in Great Britain and North America. Major multicenter trials in carotid endarterectomy in North America and Great Britain; Risks associated with carotid endarterectomy; Three ra ndomized studies of surgery for asymptomatic...
- Risks and benefits of surgery for carotid endarterectomy. WALLING, ANNE D. // American Family Physician;10/15/1998, Vol. 58 Issue 6, p1439
Presents the abstract of the article `Randomised trial of endarterectomy for recently symptomatic carotid stenosis: final results of the MRC European Carotid Surgery Trial (ECST),' by the European Carotid Surgery Trialists' Collaborative Group from the `Lancet' journal dated May 9, 1998.
- A Clinical Comparison of Dacron Patch Closure of Small-Caliber Carotids Compared with Primary Closure of Large-Caliber Carotids after Endarterectomy. VISHWANATH BHATTACHARYA; RAFIK GHALI; EL-MASSRY, SHERIF; EHAB SAAD; ZAMMIT, MICHAEL; RODRIGUEZ, DIRK; SPENCER, MERRILL P.; SAUVAGE, LESTER R. // American Surgeon;Apr1999, Vol. 65 Issue 4, p378
Presents information on a study which compared dacron patch closure of small-caliber carotids with primary closure of large-caliber carotids after endarterectomy. Subjects and methods; Results and discussion.
- Carotid Endarterectomy Reoperations in a Regional Medical Center. Maxwell, J. Gary; Covington, Deborah L.; Weatherford, David; Maxwell, Bryan G.; Brinker, Carla C. // American Surgeon;Aug2000, Vol. 66 Issue 8, p773
Large, randomized prospective clinical trials have not addressed the safety of reoperation for recurrent carotid disease. Our purpose was to determine whether outcomes for carotid endarterectomy for recurrent disease were different from those for primary or contralateral carotid endarterectomy....
- Cartoid Endarterectomy in Octogenarians with Symptomatic High-Grade Internal. Metz, R.; Teijink, J.A.W. // Vascular & Endovascular Surgery;Nov/Dec2002, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p409
The objective of this study was to evaluate the clinical and duplex outcome after carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in recently symptomatic patients aged 80 years or older. Information was assembled from a prospective data collection of all CEAs performed from January 1986 to December 1999. Included...
- When to discharge endarterectomy patients. H.D.B. // Cortlandt Forum;03/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p122
Warns physicians of the dangers of the practice of discharging patients on the first day after carotid endarterectomy if they are stable. Concerns over the safety of such practice.
- Clinical angiographic predictors of stroke and death... Rothwell, P.M.; Slattery, J.; Warlow, C. P. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);12/13/97, Vol. 315 Issue 7122, p1571
Identifies risk factors for operative stroke and death from carotid endarterectomy. Limitations of the benefit derived from carotid endarterectomy; Angiographic characteristic associated with increased risk of operative stroke or death; Factors which increases the risk of people undergoing...