Wi-Fi Overbuild Grows in Mich
- MobilePro scuttles Sacramento municipal Wi-Fi buildout plans. Gibbs, Colin // RCR Wireless News;6/19/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 25, p15
The article reports on the decision of wireless broadband provider MobilePro Corp. to cancel a deal to build a Wi-Fi network in Sacramento, California. The decision followed months of negotiations between the city and MobilePro, which is also working with Tempe, Arizona. The company said...
- Aligning with the customer on quality. Waring, Joseph // Telecom Asia;Feb2012 Supplement, p3
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the results of the survey on mobile broadband and integration of Wireless fidelity (Wi-Fi) in the cellco's network.
- WiMAX makes up 50% of Pakistan's urban broadband connections. // Asia-Pacific Telecom;Apr2012, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p14
The article reports that WiMAX technology already accounts for around 50% of broadband connections in urban centers in Pakistan as of April 2012.
- BellSouth expands broadband service to hurricane-hit areas. Morse, Joni // RCR Wireless News;12/12/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 50, p14
The article reports on the plan of BellSouth Corp. to expand its Wireless Broadband Service to Hurricane Katrina-ravaged New Orleans, and Gulfport and Biloxi, Mississippi in December 2005. When asked about the potential conflict between its wireless broadband network and a city-owned wireless...
- GR Wi-Fi: Citywide Proposals Are Next. Schoonmaker, Daniel // Grand Rapids Business Journal;11/28/2005, Vol. 23 Issue 49, Special Section pB2
This article discusses issues about the request for proposal for the wireless broadband Internet initiative of the Grand Rapids City Commission in Michigan as of November 2005. According to Sally Wesorick, project manager for the Wi-Fi proposal, there will be no preference for local vendors for...
- Lawmakers Flock To ROC-net Wi-Fi Launch. // TelecomWeb News Digest;1/30/2006, p6
The article reports on the Wi-Fi access launched by ROC-net Services as of January 2006 in an effort to introduce a much wider initiative to provide broadband services in Rockford, Illinois. ROC-net Services has installed new cellular-style base stations throughout Phase 1 of the new network,...
- The crime that wasn't? Matthew, Tamzin // SC Magazine: For IT Security Professionals (UK Edition);Nov2007, p21
The author explores the issues surrounding the attempt to classify Wireless Fidelity (WiFi) piggybacking as theft under U.S. laws. She defines piggybanking an act of using unsecured broadband from an adjacent house. She believes that an attempt to classify the said act as theft would be...
- WiFi, Why Not? // State Legislatures;Oct/Nov2005, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p9
The article reports on a panel discussion held among legislators attending the Annual Meeting of the National Conference of State Legislatures in Seattle, Washington about the possibilities and pitfalls of municipal governments building and operating wireless broadband Internet service (WiFi)....
- Wi-Fi Finds Grand 'Haven' in Michigan. // Rural Telecommunications;Sep/Oct2004, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p9
Reports on the completion of the citywide wireless fidelity (WiFi) Internet network in Grand Haven, Michigan, developed and managed by Ottawa Wireless as of October 2004. Features of WiFi; General population of Grand Haven; Cost of WiFi service; Benefits of the WiFi network.