The Politics of Debt
- Maine Legislature Approves $5.3 Billion Biennial Budget. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;3/28/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31803, p34
Both houses of the Maine Legislature have approved a 5.3 billion dollar biennial budget package on March 27, 2003 as a first step in remedying the state's budget deficiencies. Despite the consensus on the two-year budget package, a 48 million dollar gap for the biennium budget has yet to be...
- Governor's $175 Million Plan Would Be Maine's Largest Bonding in Decades. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;4/4/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31608, p3
With the dilatory release of his $175 million bond package as of April 4, 2003, Maine's governor John Baldacci has proposed the highest borrowing for the state during a single legislative session in at least two decades. According to figures from Thomson Financial, the state has not issued debt...
- Maine's Baldacci Pitches $197M Borrowing Plan. O'Brien, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;2/11/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32069, p37
Reports on the proposed bond borrowing of Maine Governor John Baldacci. Inclusion of funding for forestry, conservation and biomedical research in the plan; Reason for the hesitation of lawmakers to put new borrowings before voters; Amount of borrowing supported by Republican and Democratic...
- NORTHEAST Bond-Watch. // Bond Buyer;3/8/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31836, p35
Reports development related to bonds in the U.S. as of March 2004. Announcement of Maine governor John Baldacci's plan for property tax relief; Approval of Rockland County legislature on the sale of short-term debt; Decline of Allentown's general obligation and guaranteed debt issue.
- Gov. Baldacci Wants $160M TransCap Issue for Maine Bridge-Building. Stark, Jonna // Bond Buyer;4/10/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32854, p7
The article reports on the proposal of Maine Governor John E. Baldacci to acquire TransCap Trust Fund revenue bonds amounting to $160 million. It states that the bond will be utilized to finance for the construction of 246 bridges and reconstruction of 80 bridges to be issued by the Maine...
- Maine Governor Calls Lawmakers to Special Session on Bonding, School Aid. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;7/24/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31684, p4
Reports that John Baldacci, governor of Maine, has called a special session during the month of August, 2003 to settle dispute on proposed economic development bonds and state funding for school aid in Maine. Reason behind calling the special session; Amount for economic development proposed by...
- Maine Gov. Drops Referendum Plans, Facing Lack of Support. Cataldo, Adam L. // Bond Buyer;8/19/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31951, p36
Reports on the cancellation of the bond referendum plan of Governor John Baldacci in Maine. Issuance of general obligation bonds during the current fiscal year; Decision of the joint Appropriations and Financial Affairs Committee; Impact of the state's GO bond on local investors.
- Maine Governor Unveils 2-Year Transportation Plan, Including $75 Million of Debt. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;4/2/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31606, p3
Maine Governor John Baldacci introduced the second of four bond ballot initiatives that will be put before the state Legislature, a 622 million dollars two-year transportation plan that includes 75 million dollars of state borrowing. The Democratic governor's plan, released on March 31, 2003...
- Maine Governor Wants Voters to See $70M Package in June, Not November. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;3/18/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31595, p32
Reports on the efforts of Maine governor John Baldacci to speed-up the $70 million economic development bond package as of March 18, 2003. Highlights of the bond package; Budget deficit of the state.