Recovering Hotel Industry Could Present Investing Opportunities
- HOTELS OF WHIM AND VIGOR. Bower, Amanda; Klarreich, Kathie; Schwartz, David; Dale, Sarah Sturmon // Time International (South Pacific Edition);11/25/2002, Issue 46, p66
Discusses the trend of theme hotels. Description of the Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa outside Phoenix, Arizona, which is designed around a western theme; Library Hotel in New York City; Jules' Undersea Lodge at the bottom of Emerald Lagoon in Key Largo, Florida; Experiments from hotel chains...
- Best Western scouting properties outside the metro area, in Caribbean. Gonzalez-Velazquez, Joanisabel // Caribbean Business;8/26/2004, Vol. 32 Issue 36, p18
Reports on the search of Best Western International Inc. for properties to flag additional hospitality facilities in Puerto Rico. Interest of the hotel chain to expand outside the metro area without creating competition with its metro area properties; Increase in tourism activity after the...
- London still fighting to regain lost guests. Frewin, Angela // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;10/31/2002, Vol. 191 Issue 4246, p6
Reports on the efforts of hotels in London, England to boost occupancy rates since the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Reason for the failure of the London market to recover; Increase in London occupancy in September 2002.
- Hotel Properties Are Still Feeling Impact of September 11. // National Mortgage News;6/17/2002, Vol. 26 Issue 38, p20
Reports on the impact of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the hotel sector in the U.S. Percentage of the decline in average funds from lodging and resorts operations; List of hotels which reduced per share earnings in 2002; Factor which will help stabilize the market.
- Weathering troubled times. Murphy, H. Lee // National Real Estate Investor;Dec2001, Vol. 43 Issue 13, p30
Focuses on the business performance of the U.S. hotel industry in October 2001. Impact of the September 11 terrorist attack in the U.S. on the industry; Rate of hotel occupancies; Revenue of hotels; Outlook on the industry. INSET: Arlington Hospitality continues to build in hotel industry's....
- Broadway after dark. Slaughter, Stanley // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;2/14/2002, Vol. 191 Issue 4209, p26
Discusses how Per Hellman, general manager of the Millennium Hotel Mayfair in London, England, managed the recovery of the Millennium Hotel in New York after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Career background; Occupancy of the hotel after the terrorist attacks; Strategy used by...
- Rising from the ashes. Drummond, Gillian // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;9/12/2002, Vol. 191 Issue 4239, p28
Discusses the impact of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the hospitality industry in New York City. Decline in profits suffered by the average U.S. hotel in 2001; Percentage of trips to Washington, D.C. that involved a stay in a hotel in the last quarter of 2001.
- Hotels have it anything but easy in New Orleans. Higley, Jeff // Hotel & Motel Management;4/15/2002, Vol. 217 Issue 7, p8
Comments on the plight of the hotel industry in New Orleans, Louisiana. Use of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks as an excuse for keeping business travelers at home; Importance of keeping rates low; Suggestion of racism by the hotel rates.
- Hotel industry to see consolidation. Curtis, Chris // Leisure & Hospitality Business;10/18/2001, p2
Reports on the impact of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States on hotel business in Great Britain. Other factor that affected hoteliers in 2001; Market observations of property consultant, Knight Frank.