Judge Rejects Tobacco Companies' Bid to Shield Documents
- Tobacco companies ask to sell 'lights' pending appeal. Zuckerbrod, Nancy // Buffalo Law Journal;9/7/2006, Vol. 78 Issue 72, p16
The article reports on the call of top tobacco companies to U.S. District Judge Gladys Kessler to put her judgment against the tobacco industry on hold and let them sell light and low tar cigarettes until they have had a chance to appeal. Kessler has ruled that major tobacco manufacturers...
- From the Horse's Mouth: The Workings of the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation. Nangle, John F. // Defense Counsel Journal;Jul99, Vol. 66 Issue 3, p341
Provides information on Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation. Panel members; Statutory duties; How the panel classifies its dockets.
- Federal District Court blocks transfer of Guantanamo detainee to Tunisia. // International Law Update;Sep2007, Vol. 13, p182
The article focuses on the order made by the Gladys Kessler, the U.S. District Judge related to the transferring of Mohammed Abdul Rahman, a Guantanamo Bay Detainee back to Tunisia. Judge Kessler stated that the detainee had been convicted by Tunisian Tribunal despite suffering the heart...
- Judge calls closed-door meeting in tobacco trial. Roxe, Hilary // Buffalo Law Journal;6/23/2005, Vol. 77 Issue 50, p18
Reports that U.S. District Judge Gladys Kessler called for a closed-door meeting with major cigarette manufacturers in connection with a lawsuit filed by the Department of Justice against the industry. Basis of the agency for claiming that the industry conspired to hide the dangers of smoking;...
- Tobacco's Only Safe Haven is Europe. // High Yield Report;2/17/2003, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p1
Focuses on the litigation risk in the tobacco industry in Europe compared with the U.S.
- Drawing on the News. // Scholastic Update;04/12/99, Vol. 131 Issue 13, p20
Criticizes the jury's decision on lawsuits brought by a woman against tobacco companies and other industries.
- Big tobacco cuts a beautiful deal. Pringle, Peter // New Statesman;02/20/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4373, p26
Focuses on lawsuits filed against tobacco manufacturers. Issues that forced tobacco companies to offer generous-looking proposals to end litigation; Information on some lawsuits filed against tobacco companies; Highlights of the lawsuits.
- Tobacco chiefs sell shares in their own company. Wilbur, Phillip // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/30/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7218, p1153
Assesses the impact of a court decision in a Florida lawsuit against the tobacco industry in the United States. Reactions of Philip Morris executives; Amount of Philip Morris' shares of stocks disposed by eight company insiders; Comments from Richard Daynard, a tobacco liability expert from...
- Bob Dole, Tobacco Racketeer. Rauch, Jonathan // National Journal;10/02/99, Vol. 31 Issue 40, p2787
Discusses United States government's lawsuit against the tobacco industry. Accusations against tobacco companies; Information on the counts of illegal racketeering; Counter-argument against the government.