Paul schaefer: an adirondack original
- Scheming for the Snowy. Greig, Eli // Wild: Australia's Wilderness Adventure Magazine;Apr-Jun2002, Issue 84, p75
Reports on the efforts of environmentalists to conserve Yalmy forest, a major water catchment for Snowy River in Victoria. Importance of Yalmy; Conservation efforts for the forest; Call of conservationists for an immediate moratorium on logging in the area.
- Relics of the CCC. Egan, Robert T. // Conservationist;Nov/Dec86, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p46
Recalls the author's memories about the Civilian Conservation Corps of the Great Depression effort of the U.S. government in the 1930s. Projects on restoration of state and national forests; Symbols of the group's ideals.
- Paul Schaefer: A Wilderness Original. Grondahl, Paul // Conservationist;Nov/Dec90, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p12
Profiles Paul Schaefer, 82, a long-time naturalist dedicated to preserving the Adirondack wilderness. His biggest fight against the utility companies in the late 1940s who had planned on building 35 major hydroelectric dams; His ability to speak eloquently; Companion to conservation giants such...
- Defender of the Wilderness. Gibson, Dave; Rimany, Ken // New York State Conservationist;Oct2008, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p2
The article American wilderness conservationist Paul Schaefer. A brief overview is given on his personal and professional career. His involvement to wilderness conservation movements is discussed. Paul Schaefer influenced the Adirondack policies of nine Governors and countless commissioners and...
- A Fateful Time for Maine and the Northern Forest. // Wilderness Society's Quarterly Newsletter;Summer99, Vol. 1 Issue 3, p3
Reports the efforts of conservationist to protect the wilderness and wildlife of the Northern Forest of Maine. Involvement in a debate over the forest area; Implications of second-home development in the North Woods for moose, loons and other wildlife; Relevance of the Land and Water...
- Crusader for Indonesia's Enchanted Forests. Liebhold, David // Time International (South Pacific Edition);03/15/1999, Issue 11, p52
Profiles Emmy Hafild to preserve the forests of Sumatra, Indonesia. How the forest of her childhood was plowed into a golf course and what impact that has had on her efforts; Her work with the Indonesian Forum for the Environment; How her time in environmental studies at the University of...
- Logging in Tasmania. Bayley, Vica // Wild: Australia's Wilderness Adventure Magazine;Apr-Jun2007, Issue 104, p79
The article presents an update on anti-logging initiatives on the Upper Florentine and Weld valleys in Tasmania. According to the author, there has been an intensified campaigns to protect Tasmania's World Heritage-value forests in 2006 with the occupation of threatened areas of the Upper...
- Biodiversity hotspots and conservation priorities in the Campo-Ma'an rain forests, Cameroon. Tchouto, M. G. P.; Yemefack, M.; De Boer, W. F.; De Wilde, J. J. F. E.; Van Der Maesen, L. J. G.; Cleff, A. M. // Biodiversity & Conservation;Apr2006, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p1219
Until recently, patterns of species richness and endemism were based on an intuitive interpretation of distribution maps with very limited numerical analyses. Such maps based solely on taxonomic collections tend to concentrate on collecting efforts more than biodiversity hotspots, since often...
- NORTHERN ROCKIES. Ekey, Bob // Wilderness Society's Quarterly Newsletter;Summer99, Vol. 1 Issue 3, p5
Assesses the protection efforts for unprotected roadless forest areas in Montana. Details on the forest area; Coalition of conservation groups for the preservation effort; Impact of the alliance on environmental and local economies.