Any Port in a Storm
- In a deep hole. Edmonson, R. G. // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);3/21/2005, Vol. 6 Issue 12, p38
Focuses on the implications of the reduced 2006 budget for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on port maintenance across the country. Necessity of maintenance dredging in the ports; Overview of allocations for the budget; Move of several port authorities to seek political support for their cause.
- Corps of Engineers Allocates $4.6 Billion in Stimulus Funds. // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);5/11/2009, Vol. 10 Issue 19, p7
This article reports that the port of Houston, Texas and inland locks and dams won the contract for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' list of projects for the $6.4 billion U.S. economic stimulus package. More than $98 million will be received by the Houston Ship Channel for dredging and...
- Ketchikan Can't. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;8/19/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32200, p31
Reports on the rejection by the voters in the southeast Alaska port of Ketchikan of a proposal to issue revenue bonds to expand and improve the city's cruise ship docks.
- The Engineer Center's AGR link. Doll, Charles A. // Engineer;Mar1990, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p11
Focuses on the cooperation between the US Army Engineer Center's active Guard and Reserve (AGR) personnel. Duties and responsibilities of the AGR; Directorate of Reserve Components; ARNG/USAR liaison non-commissioned officers; ARNG/USAR training development officers; ARNG force integration...
- The engineer bridge battalion. Munch, Paul G. // Engineer;Mar1990, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p13
Focuses on the US Army Corps of Engineers' engineer bridge battalion. Duties and responsibilities; Preparation and involvement in the 1988 corps-against-corps Reforger exercise; Usefulness of the bridge battalion. INSET: Bridge battalion strengths...and weaknesses..
- Moving mountains: Army engineers in Bolivia. Blocher, Bob; Herrera, Louis // Engineer;Mar1990, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p24
Focuses on the deployment of the US Army's 536th Engineer Battalion to Potosi, Bolivia in June 1989 for the Joint Chief of Staff exercise Fuerzas Unidas 89. Task of removing the top of a mountain near the Potosi airport to allow commercial airliners to use the landing strip; Challenges faced by...
- Lessons Learned. Lovell, Neal T. // Engineer;Mar1990, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p29
Focuses on the US Army's Lessons Learned program at the Engineer School that allows members to gain accumulated background information and experiences pertinent to their missions. Typical scenario in which the program can be applied; Examples of information provided by the program.
- Engineer update. // Engineer;Mar1990, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p32
Reports on the activities of the US Army Corps of Engineers. Directorate of Combat Developments (DCD); Directorate of Training and Doctrine (DOTD); Department of Topographic Engineering (DTE); Department of Military Engineering (DME).
- Civil works--another side of the Army engineers' mission. Kelly, Patrick J. // Engineer;Jan1991, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p13
Enumerates some of the civilian projects of the Army Corps of Engineers. History of the Corps of Engineers; District assignments; Water Resource Development Act of 1986; Flood control; National emergencies; Resource protection; Research; Infrastructure upgrades.