Poverty, Single-Parent Households, and Youth At-Risk Behavior: An Empirical Study
- 17 things you should do before you're 17. Mechling, Lauren // Seventeen;Mar2000, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p120
Presents the things that should be done by teenagers before they reach the age of 17.
- Teenage wasteland? Shapiro, Joseph P.; Daniel, Missy // U.S. News & World Report;10/23/95, Vol. 119 Issue 16, p84
Considers how early adolescence is one of life's trickiest transitions. Growing body of research which shows that it is a crucial period in human development, equaled only by infancy; Search for roles and values in the years between 10 and 14; Cultural norms; Restructuring of schools to create...
- For today's teens, rebellion is passe. McLaughlin, Abraham // Christian Science Monitor;4/12/99, Vol. 91 Issue 94, p1
Discusses qualities of teenagers in April 1999. The lack of rebellion; Ratio who work; Number who use the Internet; Their questioning of spirituality; Label of the teenagers as Generation Y or millennials, the largest generation since the baby boom. INSET: A look at today's teens.
- The State of Youth. Pel, Jenna // Teen Ink;Oct2004, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p22
The author ponders on the state of the youth in the U.S. She cites common perceived characteristics of the youth. She mentions several factors that determine the image of the youth. She believes that the process involved in changing young people happens gradually. She emphasizes the need for...
- Point: Youth Gang Members are not Criminals. Lambrick, Melanie // Canadian Points of View: Gangs;2014, p2
The article presents an argument for the positive aspects of youth gangs. The author argues that gangs provide youth with community, security, income, purpose, and political attention. Factors which may lead youths to join gangs are discussed including poverty, visible minority status, and...
- Sometimes it just works out. Glaser, Perle B. Feldman // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;12/14/99, Vol. 161 Issue 12, p1503
Relates the author's experience providing medical care for a pregnant teen at Head and Hands, a clinic and community organization in Montreal, Quebec. Difficulties that the girl had with her mother, school, and her boyfriend; How life worked out for them during a period of ten years.
- Project reveals toll of teenage-parent violence. // Healthcare Counselling & Psychotherapy Journal;Jan2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p4
The article focuses on the Adolescent to Parent Violence (APV) Project which revealed that parents in the Greater London area in England who are subjected to violence and abuse from their teenage children are being left without support.
- J. F. Alexander, H. B. Waldron, M. S. Robbins and A. A. Neeb: Functional Family Therapy for Adolescent Behavior Problems. Malloy, Julie // Contemporary Family Therapy: An International Journal;Dec2013, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p806
No abstract available.
- Relationship of Acculturation and Family Functioning to Smoking Attitudes and Behaviors Among Asian-American Adolescents. Jie Wu Weiss, Jessica; Garbanati, James A. // Journal of Child & Family Studies;Jun2004, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p193
The primary objective of this study was to examine the combination of acculturation, family functioning, and parental smoking as predictors of smoking attitudes and behaviors among Asian-American adolescents. The participants were 106 Asian-American high school students whose ages ranged from 15...