Parents Ponder Academics vs. Character
- Let kids be kids. Wilkinson, Cassandra // Institute of Public Affairs Review;Sep2011, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p34
The author comments on a strange overprotectiveness by parents over children being promoted by media, culture and government. She believes the important resilience-building Australian childhood is available to fewer children. She observes unfounded fears are leading parents to no longer believe...
- How four year-olds spend their days Insights into the caring contexts of young children. Baxter, Jennifer; Hayes, Alan // Family Matters;Autumn2007, Issue 76, p34
The article provides an overview on how four year-old children spend their days and cope up with developmental changes and differences within environment. It is provided that human development from infancy to middle childhood and beyond undergo several changes including physical, intellectual,...
- Trouble in Toyland. Kantrowitz, Barbara // Bulletin with Newsweek;4/24/2007, Vol. 125 Issue 6566, p75
The article offers suggestions related to the development of children who are less than 3 years old. It is advised that they should not be pressed hard for taking lessons such as academics, gymnastics and classical violin as it would hamper their mental development. It is suggested that parents...
- New Viewpoints on Discipline. Baruch, Dorothy W. // Education Digest;Jan1956, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p24
This article presents various approaches to guide parents and teachers in disciplining children. To make discipline effective, children need help in learning how to deal with anger. They need to get at their basic anger--towards their elders--and to bring it out into the open. When an adult...
- Direct Parenting Methods to Facilitate the Social Functioning of Children with Cerebral Palsy. Dixon Thomas, Pamela; Warschausky, Seth; Golin, Rachel; Meiners, Kathryn // Journal of Developmental & Physical Disabilities;Apr2008, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p167
Studies with typically developing children have supported the efficacy of parents� direct efforts to facilitate social development. In this study, it was hypothesized that use of direct parenting methods would be associated with aspects of social functioning of children with cerebral palsy....
- Learning Curve. Tutelian, Louise // Working Mother;Aug/Sep2002, p79
Presents tips for overworked parents in taking care of children. Number of sleeping hours needed by children depending on age; Importance of understanding the cause of preschool anger; Advice on parents to talk with children about clothing matters.
- Creative Discipline. Kramer, Pamela S. // Parenting;Feb2001, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p140
Provides tips for parents on how to control the anger of children and prevent them from getting physically violent. Let children list their bad behavior; Talk repeatedly to kids until they remain calm; Create chores and responsibilities; Reprimand children by taking away their privileges.
- Focus on the growth mindset. Sen, Shelja // Prevention India;Mar2010, p12
In this article the author offers suggestions for enhancing the mental growth of children. Parents should not pressurize their children especially during exams because each child is unique and born with different mental faculties. They should not focus on short term gains like marks, scores,...
- PARENT TIP. Rittmayer, Joy // GENESIS;Spring2004, Issue 1, p5
Provides information related to parenting. Impact of family traditions on the development of personality in individuals; Distinction of one family from the others through unique rites of celebration; Creation of traditions that will belong to the current family.