GLOBALIZING LAW AND CULTURE: TOWARDS A CROSS- CONSTITUTIVE PARADIGM
- WILL THE WOMEN'S MOVEMENT SURVIVE? Weisstein, Naomi; Booth, Heather // Lesbian Tide;Sep/Oct76, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p28
Discusses key issues concerning the women's movement and its activities to achieve social change and improve the status of women in American society. Historical background on the women's movement; Current trends and issues of contention in the women's movement in 1976; Organizations and...
- CHAPTER 5: WOMEN AND TRADITION. Van Houten, Elizabeth // Women in the Japanese World;2004, p59
This chapter focuses on Japanese women and Japanese traditions. While laws and customs kept women out of many aspects of life, restrictions on their behavior have sometimes been the direct cause of their involvement in the arts. Mothers and grandmothers try to pass on traditions to the younger...
- Whither the women's advisory council? // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;7/5/93, Vol. 20 Issue 29, p51
Speculates the Advisory Council on Women's Issues may have to be scrapped to save money. Comments from Alberta Premier Ralph Klein that the body would not be chopped; Resignation of Patricia Pardo-Demiantschuk from the council board.
- Gender discrimination and the original understanding. Maltz, Earl M. // Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy;Spring95, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p415
Addresses the more common justifications for enhanced judicial scrutiny of gender-based classifications. Drafting of the Fourteenth Amendment by the Republicans; Justice Joseph Bradley's opinion on the Bradwell v. Illinois; Privileges and Immunities Clause as providing the only plausible...
- Women and the law. Thacker, Anne C. // Legaldate;Jul95, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p5
Discusses laws concerning the recognition of women's public and private rights in Australia. Granting women of their right to vote in federal elections; Recommendation in the Law Reform Commission; Changes in the provision of compensation for victims. INSET: Student activities..
- The legal gains of the Libyan Arab woman. // Women's International Network News;Summer96, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p52
Focuses on laws that benefit Libyan Arab women in Libya. Emancipation of women from all sorts suppression, injustice and exploitation; Official Declaration of Human Rights and Basic Liberties; Education; Personal status.
- Thailand: Development plan targeted by women's organizations. // Women's International Network News;Summer96, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p62
Reports on Thailand's preparation of the Eighth National Economic and Social Development Plan (1997-2001) aimed at strengthening national mechanisms to raise the status of women. Support for the plan from women's organizations; Recommendations of women's groups for ensuring that women's...
- Philippine Plan for Gender Responsive Development (1995-2025). // Women's International Network News;Summer96, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p64
Reports on the Philippine government's launching of an initiative called Philippine Plan for Gender Responsive Development (1995-2025) aimed at giving women a more active and participatory role in the development process. Involvement of the National Commission on the Role of Filipino Women in...
- Prelude--new women's initiatives in Central and Eastern Europe and Turkey. // Women's International Network News;Summer96, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p65
Focuses on women's initiatives in Central and Eastern Europe and Turkey. Poland; Czech Republic; Slovak Republic; Croatia; Russia.