Budget Dome, California Turns Eyes to Performance Review
- California Increases EL Spending. // Language Magazine;Jul2013, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p10
The article reports that the California Legislature approved a 55.3 billion dollars budget that provides significant increases in funding for education, healthcare, students, and the courts.
- The calm before the next perfect storm. Villines, Michael // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;5/26/2006, Issue 323561, p27
The author comments on the 2006 budget process in California. He claims that the one-year budget cycle lacks an organized structure to develop and adopt long-term strategic planning for the annual investment of more than $100 billion in state resources. He suggests that the Legislature should...
- Legislature goes home--election next. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;9/9/2005, Issue 323450, p26
Comments on the failure of the 2005 session of the California Legislature to produce vital legislation. Agreement of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Legislature to the 2005-2006 budget; Avoidance of the Legislature in confronting major reforms needed in state government; Commitment of the...
- California Passes $99B Budget, Puts $7B Ran Deal in Pipeline. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;9/4/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31461, p1
Reports the approval on the proposed fiscal budget by the Assembly in California. Use of the budget for the issuance of revenue anticipation note; Amount of the approved budget; Reliance on the anticipated sale of power revenue bonds by the budget.
- California dreamin' or a fiscal nightmare? MUIR, ED // American Teacher;May/Jun2009, Vol. 93 Issue 8, p23
The author criticizes the budget process and the fiscal policies of the California Legislature, which he believes has failed to address the budget gap of $50 billion that the state faces in the next two years. He mentions that California's 2009 budget contains over $16 billion in cuts, observing...
- California Legislature Wraps Without Bay Area Bridge Pact. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;8/31/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31959, p1
Reports that California legislators were unable to finalize a deal to finance cost overruns on the project to replace the east span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. Ending of the session ahead of schedule to allow Republican members to attend the Republican convention at the end of August.
- Part-time California Legislature? // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;8/13/2004, Issue 323282, p26
Comments on the proposal of California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to make the state's legislature a part-time body. Claim that public opinion polls indicate that a majority of Californians have lost faith in the legislature; Proposal of Ted Costa, one the major players in the recall of former...
- The theory of legislative institutionalization and the California Assembly. Squire, Peverill // Journal of Politics;Nov92, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p1026
Argues that the process of legislative institutionalization is driven by the membership's career goals and that more discretionary and particularistic methods better serve the career needs of the California Assembly membership. Implications for the utility of the concept of institutionalization;...
- The Calif. Senate. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;6/5/2015, pA02
The article reports on the "right to die" bill passed by the California Senate passed and mentions that bill would allow adults with a terminal illness to request medicine from a doctor to end their lives.