East meets West: infection, nerves, and mast cells in the irritable bowel syndrome
- Do Colonic Diverticula Cause Symptoms? Thompson, W. G. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jul1986, Vol. 81 Issue 7, p613
Discusses whether colonic diverticula cause symptoms. Percentage of the population in Western countries expected to acquire colon diverticula by age 60; Complications that may arise in colonic diverticula; Association of irritable bowel movement with colonic diverticula.
- Irritable bowel syndrome? Lipman, Marvin M. // Consumer Reports on Health;Jan2003, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p11
Discusses key issues concerning irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in the U.S. Diagnosis; Disorders that mimic IBS; Treatment of IBS symptoms.
- APPLICABILITY OF SYMPTOM BASED DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA TO PATIENTS WITH A FIRM DIAGNOSIS OF IBS MADE IN THE OUTPATIENT CLINIC SETTING. // Gut;Apr2004 Supplement 3, Vol. 53, pA113
This article cites a study conducted to assess the sensitivity of the three commonly used criteria in patients who had been followed up for at least one year alter having been given a firm clinical diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) by an experienced physician with on interest in the...
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Persons Who Acquired Trichinellosis. Soyturk, Mujde; Akpinar, Hale; Gurler, Oguz; Pozio, Edoardo; Sari, Ismail; Akar, Servet; Akarsu, Mesut; Birlik, Merih; Onen, Fatos; Akkoc, Nurullah // American Journal of Gastroenterology;May2007, Vol. 102 Issue 5, p1064
BACKGROUND AND AIM: The postinfectious irritable bowel syndrome (PI-IBS) frequently follows bacterial infections. Since people suffering from PI-IBS and Trichinella spiralisâ€“infected mice develop similar findings, this animal model has been successfully used for PI-IBS studies; however,...
- Irritable bowel syndrome. // British Journal of Community Nursing;Nov2006, Vol. 11 Issue 11, p498
The article reports on the launch of a new poster in Great Britain on October 2006 that is designed to assist nurses in explaining the complex symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome. Copies of the poster can be requested online and is supported by The IBS Network and has been produced...
- ARE PATIENTS WITH IBS MORE LIKELY TO SEEK A PHYSICAL RATHER THAN A PSYCHOLOGICAL EXPLANATION FOR UNEXPLAINED SYMPTOMS? // Gut;Apr2004 Supplement 3, Vol. 53, pA114
A tendency to attribute unexplained symptoms to physical disorders is thought to be common in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). This article cites a study conducted to test this hypothesis by assessing symptom severity, symptom interpretation, and quality of life in patients...
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome. // American Family Physician;2/1/2005, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p1
Offers information on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), an intestinal problem characterized by abdominal pain and cramping. Clinical manifestations of IBS; Diagnosis of IBM; Physiological and health importance of fiber; Tips on managing IBS.
- Caring for the person with irritable bowel syndrome. Peate, Ian // British Journal of Healthcare Assistants;Jan2009, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p6
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a collection of symptoms associated with the gastrointestinal tract and is also known as irritable colon, spastic colon or mucous colitis. One third of the population will experience symptoms at some time and it can occur at any age, with people typically...
- Managing irritable bowel syndrome. Horwitz, Brenda L.; Lembo, Anthony J.; Whitehead, William E. // Patient Care;Feb2003, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p18
Presents information on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Description and symptoms of IBS; Information on foods that can trigger IBS; Risk factors of IBS. INSET: The therapeutic relationship in IBS.