Messiah or Menace?
- Messiah or Menace? Larmer, Brook // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);12/21/98, Vol. 132 Issue 25, p31
Discusses the election of Hugo Chavez Frias as president of Venezuela. His victory over economist Henrique Salas Romer; Voters reacting to the country's poverty and political corruption; Chavez's 1992 coup attempt as a campaign tool; How the Chavez victory is viewed in the United States; The...
- Revolutionary appeal. Omestad, Thomas // U.S. News & World Report;06/11/2001, Vol. 130 Issue 23, p36
Focuses on the leadership of President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela. His hopes to redistribute wealth and eradicate corruption through 'peaceful revolution'; Idea of claiming emergency powers which would allow him to rule by decree; How he has centralized power around himself; High oil prices which...
- From prisoner to president. Robinson, Linda // U.S. News & World Report;12/21/98, Vol. 125 Issue 24, p40
Reports the election of Hugo Chavez Frias as president of Venezuela. The country's severe economic problems; Poverty and national bankruptcy; The country's wealth of oil reserves; Unclear what changes Chavez may bring; Impact of his election on the United States; Plans to double oil production;...
- Carrying On. // Time;12/19/1983, Vol. 122 Issue 26, p40
The article offers information on Venezuelan political scene. It reports that Action Democratica's leader and presidential bet, Jaime Lusinchi, won the recent presidential election. It explores details regarding Lusinchi's political campaign as well as the efforts of opponent, Rafael Caldera of...
- Venezuela: What Next at the Pump? Zagorin, Adam // Time;4/22/2002, Vol. 159 Issue 16, p15
Focuses on the return to power of Venezuela's President Hugo ChÃ¡vez after being ousted in a coup, and the issue of oil prices. Role of Venezuela as an exporter of oil; Push by Chavez for higher prices in the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries; Speculation regarding the impact...
- Hugo ChÃ¡vez's Jewish Problem. Pantin, Travis // Commentary;Jul/Aug2008, Vol. 126 Issue 1, p46
An essay is presented discussing Venezuelan president Hugo ChÃ¡vez and his relationship to Jewish people. The author believes much of ChÃ¡vez's dictatorial policies, anti-American actions, and alliances with Middle Eastern dictatorships are motivated by antisemitism. The author cites raids...
- Coup defeat commemorated. Mcllroy, Jim; Wynter, Coral // Green Left Weekly;4/22/2009, Issue 791, p14
The article focuses on the commemoration of the defeat of the coup d'etat in Venezuela against President Hugo Chavez in which Chavez notes that the Latin American revolution started on April 13, 2002 wherein the Venezuelan people fought back against the imperialists of the U.S.
- Venezuela Debates Opening Petro Sector. // Chemical Market Reporter;06/21/99, Vol. 255 Issue 25, p13
Reports the action of the Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to open the state-controlled petrochemical sector in the country. Comment from Alvaro Silva, deputy minister of energy; Information on the petrochemical market.
- Hugo ChÃ¡vez. Wiliams, Miya // Jet;4/29/2013, Vol. 122 Issue 7, p14
The article presents an obituary for Hugo ChÃ¡vez, the socialist President of Venezuela.