Messiah or Menace?
- Messiah or Menace? Larmer, Brook // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);12/21/98, Vol. 132 Issue 25, p31
Discusses the election of Hugo Chavez Frias as president of Venezuela. His victory over economist Henrique Salas Romer; Voters reacting to the country's poverty and political corruption; Chavez's 1992 coup attempt as a campaign tool; How the Chavez victory is viewed in the United States; The...
- Poor Venezuelans sold on change. LaFranchi, Howard // Christian Science Monitor;12/15/99, Vol. 92 Issue 15, p6
Reports on the likelihood of a Venezuelan constitution being passed in December 199 that would give more power to President Hugo Chavez and the support of the effort by the poor in that country. Specifics of changes to the constitution. INSET: Venezuela's charter changes..
- Revolutionary appeal. Omestad, Thomas // U.S. News & World Report;06/11/2001, Vol. 130 Issue 23, p36
Focuses on the leadership of President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela. His hopes to redistribute wealth and eradicate corruption through 'peaceful revolution'; Idea of claiming emergency powers which would allow him to rule by decree; How he has centralized power around himself; High oil prices which...
- Venezuelans vie to rewrite Constitution. // Christian Science Monitor;5/26/99, Vol. 91 Issue 126, p7
Focuses on the political race for a seat in a constituent assembly in Venezuela that will write a magna carta, or constitution, as part of President Hugo Chavez's governing agenda as of May 26, 1999. History of the support of Chavez's proposal; Scheduled election details; Support and criticism.
- Carrying On. // Time;12/19/1983, Vol. 122 Issue 26, p40
The article offers information on Venezuelan political scene. It reports that Action Democratica's leader and presidential bet, Jaime Lusinchi, won the recent presidential election. It explores details regarding Lusinchi's political campaign as well as the efforts of opponent, Rafael Caldera of...
- From prisoner to president. Robinson, Linda // U.S. News & World Report;12/21/98, Vol. 125 Issue 24, p40
Reports the election of Hugo Chavez Frias as president of Venezuela. The country's severe economic problems; Poverty and national bankruptcy; The country's wealth of oil reserves; Unclear what changes Chavez may bring; Impact of his election on the United States; Plans to double oil production;...
- Venezuela: What Next at the Pump? Zagorin, Adam // Time;4/22/2002, Vol. 159 Issue 16, p15
Focuses on the return to power of Venezuela's President Hugo ChÃ¡vez after being ousted in a coup, and the issue of oil prices. Role of Venezuela as an exporter of oil; Push by Chavez for higher prices in the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries; Speculation regarding the impact...
- Power Trip. // Latin Trade (English);Jan2002, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p49
Reports on the views expressed by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez about the Russian businessmen's plan to build a satellite launching pad in the country.
- Coup defeat commemorated. Mcllroy, Jim; Wynter, Coral // Green Left Weekly;4/22/2009, Issue 791, p14
The article focuses on the commemoration of the defeat of the coup d'etat in Venezuela against President Hugo Chavez in which Chavez notes that the Latin American revolution started on April 13, 2002 wherein the Venezuelan people fought back against the imperialists of the U.S.