Wisconsin GOP Presses Spending Amendment
- Modest Mandate Relief. Walters, Jonathan // Governing;Jul2004, Vol. 17 Issue 10, p14
Presents information on the federal Unfunded Mandate Reform Act (UMRA) of 1995. Purpose; Content of the U.S. General Accounting Office's report on the effect of the UMRA on the state and the local government; Reason behind the contradiction between numbers of mandates and total cost.
- House OKs Supplemental Spending Bill; $5.2B for CDBG, $4B for Flood Control. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;6/14/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32402, p5
The article reports on the United States House's approval of an emergency supplemental military and hurricane spending bill on June 13, 2006. The bill includes the Community Development Block Grant funds for the Gulf Coast region and funds for levee repair and flood control projects. The bill...
- Let's Treat Infrastructure Maintenance Like Debt Service. Harper Jr., Eugene W. // Bond Buyer;6/7/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33328, p32
In this article, the author discusses a possible strategy to solve the infrastructure maintenance problem in the U.S. He states a look at the law governing enforcement of municipal bond obligations suggests a feasible solution which could be developed by state and local officials and other...
- $32.9B State Budget Cuts Spending. Goldstein, Scott // njbiz;6/30/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 27, p2
The article announces the signing into law in July 2008 by the governor of the $32.9 billion New Jersey state budget passed by the state Legislature. It requires the need to reduce spending by $600 million and does not contain any tax increases. This will take effect beginning July 1, 2008. This...
- BIG CUTS. // Crain's Cleveland Business;11/11/2013, Vol. 34 Issue 45, p0006
The article discusses the approval of a sequestration bill by the federal government that implements a 1.2 billion dollars ten-year spending cuts in the U.S. in 2013.
- LGA casts doubt on extra spending. Day, Karen // Public Finance;06/02/2000, p6
Focuses on the plan of the Great Britain government to inject an additional 28 billion pounds sterling into public spending. Reaction of the Local Government Association; Introduction of two-tier system of targets; Tie-up of funding with performance targets.
- Welsh councils take up challenge on tax rises. // Public Finance;10/31/97, p7
Presents information on government commitment to tighten public spending limits and expenditure to remain within limits for the next two years. Details on reports estimating tax bills; What is the Conservative method; Comments from Harry Jones, leader of Welsh Local Government Association.
- Local spending curbs -- the mandate question. Jeuda, Basil // Accountancy;Nov81, Vol. 92 Issue 1059, p54
Discusses the control of local authority expenditure in Great Britain. Passage of the Local Government Planning and Land Act 1980; Central government's allocation of expenditure totals for local government; Block Grant System in which grant is paid from central government to local authorities.
- Counties identify unfunded mandate. // American City & County;May2005, Vol. 120 Issue 5, p26
Presents results of a survey of counties and their additional costs directly related to unfunded mandates in the U.S., conducted by the National Association of Counties. Examples of federal directives to state and local governments that are not backed by federal funding.