Pulmonary abscess with bacteremia in a young man
- Actinomyces odontolyticus Bacteremia. Cone, Lawrence A.; Leung, Millie M.; Hirschberg, Joel // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Dec2003, Vol. 9 Issue 12, p1629
We describe two immunosuppressed female patients with fever and Actinomyces odontolyticus bacteremia, a combination documented once previously in an immuno-competent male patient. The patients were treated with doxycycline and clindamycin; these drugs, with Î²-lactams, are effective treatment...
- Community acquired Roseomonas infection in a preexisting Tubercular lung lesion. Kaore, Navinchandra M.; Khan, Zoyev; Aher, Atul R.; Ramnani, V. K. // Lung India;Jul-Sep2014, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p289
Roseomonas are nonfermenting opportunistic Gram-negative bacilli belonging to the newly established genus of Roseomonas. The clinical experience with the species is limited and is difficult to diagnose because of limited expertise and lack of commercially available identification kits with any...
- HIV-Related Pneumococcal Lung Disease: Does Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy or Bacteremia Modify Radiologic Appearance? Rizzi, Elisa Busi; Schininá, Vincenzo; Rovighi, Laura; Cristofaro, Massimo; Bordi, Eugenio; Narciso, Pasquale; Bibbolino, Corrado // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Feb2008, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p105
We reviewed chest radiographs of 57 HIV-infected patients with pulmonary diseases in whom Streptococcus pneumoniae was the sole respiratory pathogen isolated to evaluate whether highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) or bacteremia modify radiographic appearance. Pneumococcal lung disease...
- Markers of bacteremia in febrile neutropenic patients with hematological malignancies: procalcitonin and IL-6 are more reliable than C-reactive protein. von Lilienfeld-Toal, M.; Dietrich, M. P.; Glasmacher, A.; Lehmann, L.; Breig, P.; Hahn, C.; Schmidt-Wolf, I. G. H.; Marklein, G.; Schroeder, S.; Stuber, F. // European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases;Jul2004, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p539
Since neutropenic patients with hematological malignancies are at high risk of contracting life-threatening infections, specific markers of infection are needed in cases of febrile neutropenia. The study presented here assessed serum concentrations of C-reactive protein (CRP), procalcitonin...
- bacteriemia. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p230
A definition of the term "bacteriemia," which refers to bacteremia, is presented.
- Nontyphoidal salmonellae bacteremia rates increase. Ellis, Kirsten H. // Infectious Diseases in Children;May2008, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p52
The article presents a study of bacteremia outbreaks in Blantyre, Malawi which may have implications for the treatment of severe febrile illness in adults and children in South Africa. Researchers from the Malawi-Liverpool-Wellcome Trust Research Programme of the University of Malawi College of...
- Identification of Clinical Risk Factors for Nosocomial Pneumococcal Bacteremia. Rubins, Jeffrey B.; Cheung, SiuPo; Carson, Paul; Rubins, Hanna Bloomfield; Janoff, Edward N. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;7/1/99, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p178
Provides information on a study which identified clinical risk factors for and the clinical presentation of nosocomial pneumococcal bacteremia (NPB). Methods of the study; Clinical predictors of NPB; Clinical features of NPB; Treatment and outcome.
- bacteremia. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p229
A definition of the term "bacteremia," which refers to bacteria in the blood, is presented.
- Impact of imipenem resistance on mortality in patients with Acinetobacter bacteraemia. Ki Tae Kwon; Won Sup Oh; Jae-Hoon Song; Hyun-Ha Chang; Sook-In Jung; Shin-Woo Kim; Seong Yeol Ryu; Sang Taek Heo; Dong Sik Jung; Ji-Young Rhee; Sang Yop Shin; Kwan Soo Ko; Kyong Ran Peck; Nam Yong Lee // Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (JAC);Mar2007, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p525
ObjectivesTo investigate the impact of imipenem resistance on the mortality rate among patients with Acinetobacterbacteraemia. MethodsA retrospective, pairwise-matched (1:1), risk-adjusted (age, Pitt bacteraemia score) cohort study was performed at...