News @ a glance
- The government's war on drugs: Get the doctors. Rose, Joan R. // Medical Economics;9/5/2003, Vol. 80 Issue 17, p14
Focuses on the petition of the U.S. Solicitor General to the Supreme Court on the recommendation of physicians for the use marijuana in medicine. Difficulty of revoking a physician's license; Regulations in the practice of medicine.
- An Evaluation of Web-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines for Managing ProblemsAssociated with Cannabis Use. Norberg, Melissa M.; Turner, Michael W.; Rooke, Sally E.; Langton, Julia M.; Gates, Peter J. // Journal of Medical Internet Research;Nov/Dec2012, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p44
Background: Cannabis is the most widely used illicit substance, and multiple treatment options and avenues exist for managing its use. There has been an increase in the development of clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) to improve standards of care in this area, many of which are disseminated...
- Medical marijuana: Legal considerations for physicians. MARTIN, JOHN // Medical Economics;12/10/2015, Vol. 92 Issue 23, p43
The article argues on the legal considerations for general practitioners with the legalization of medical marijuana across the U.S. as of December 10, 2015. It is noted that the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) still considers marijuana as a Schedule 1 controlled substance. It mentions the risks...
- New medical marijuana regulations approved. // HIV/AIDS Policy & Law Review;Aug2005, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p21
The article informs that in June 2005, Health Canada formally adopted new Medical Marijuana Medical Access Regulations. The new Regulations were proposed in October 2004 and public comments were solicited. The major changes include: It is no longer necessary to obtain the signature of a...
- A look into medicine's future. Wood, Douglas // Minnesota Medicine;Sep2015, Vol. 98 Issue 9, p43
The author expresses his views about the evolution and future of medical practice in the U.S. discussed by two keynote speakers and physicians, Ian Morrison and Kyra Bobinet, at the 2014 annual conference of the Minnesota Medical Association (MMA). Topics addressed by the author include...
- Looking Inside, Looking Outside. Logemann, Jeri A. // ASHA Leader;03/28/2000, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p2
Ponders on the role of medical practitioners to focus attention in the work sites and, as participants in local, state, and national professional organizations. Issue on productivity; Pieces of advice for physicians.
- Discouraging Words. Spaeth, George L. // Review of Ophthalmology;Aug2000, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p23
List the words the physicians should use in encouraging or obtaining information from their patients. Patient's needs instead of demands; Woman/man instead of male/female; Not average, sick or defective instead of abnormal.
- Diary from a Week in Practice. Larimore, Walter L.; Hartman, John R. // American Family Physician;11/15/1996, Vol. 54 Issue 7, p2199
Part I. Presents narratives of experiences in a week-long medical practice by four family physicians in private practice in Kissemmee, Florida. Case of a 15-month old toddler with a slight change in the nipple as well as a perceived breast tissue underneath the nipple; A young woman's natural...
- Temperatures rise over hospital-only doctors. Klein, Sarah A. // Crain's Chicago Business;07/03/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 28, p3
Focuses on the challenges facing hospital-only doctors or hospitalists in launching their practices in Chicago, Illinois. Experience of physician-turned-entrepreneur Adam Singer in expanding his health care business in Chicago; Resistance of community hospitals to the concept; Reaction of...