Immigration could strain EU health services
- THE IMPACT OF REFORM ON HEALTH CARE FRAUD ENFORCEMENT. Ogrosky, Kirk; Kracov, Daniel A. // Brief;Fall2010, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p42
A summary is presented of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), signed into law on March 23, 2010 in the U.S.
- Health reform: One step closer to improving population health. Nevarez, Carmen // Nation's Health;May/Jun2010, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p3
The author discusses the importance of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which was passed in March 2010, to improve the public health in the U.S.
- A User's Manual For The IOM's 'Quality Chasm' Report. Berwick, Donald M. // Health Affairs;May/Jun2002, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p80
Fifteen months after releasing its report on patient safety (To Err Is Human), the Institute of Medicine released Crossing the Quality Chasm. Although less sensational than the patient safety report, the Quality Chasm report is more comprehensive and, in the long run, more important. It calls...
- THE PERCEPTION OF PATIENTS' RIGHTS AMONG BELGIAN POPULATION. Devroey, Dirk; Deneyer, Michel; Scheys, Ellen; Van De Vijver, Erwin; Van den Block, Lieve // Central European Journal of Public Health;Jun2013, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p109
The aim of this study was to explore the knowledge and perception of specific patients' rights and the problems experienced with their fulfilment among the Belgian population. Participants were recruited through patient association groups and health insurance companies. They completed an...
- Twentieth anniversary of the European Union health mandate: taking stock of perceived achievements, failures and missed opportunities -- a qualitative study. Rosenkötter, Nicole; Brand, Helmut; Sørensen, Kristine; Clemens, Timo // BMC Public Health;2013, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1
Background The European Union (EU) health mandate was initially defined in the Maastricht Treaty in 1992. The twentieth anniversary of the Treaty offers a unique opportunity to take stock of EU health actions by giving an overview of influential public health related EU-level policy outputs and...
- Patients' rights and workforce issues. // Journal of the Irish Dental Association;Apr/May2009, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p82
The article offers an update on health care in Europe Union (EU) countries as of April 2009. One of the controversial issues arising from a draft Directive on the application of patient's rights in cross-border health care is the obligation for Member States to establish health and safety...
- Decisions at the end of life. Emanuel, Linda L.; Emanuel, Ezekiel J. // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct93, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p6
Offers advice for health care institutions to guide treatment decisions for incompetent patients who have no advance directives. Guidance from the communities of patients; Instructional directives and proxy designation; Realization of the patient's autonomy; Limitations of directives; Use of...
- Guided by intimates. Nelson, James Lindemann; Nelson, Hilde Lindemann // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct93, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p14
Discusses aspects of proxy decisionmaking for incapacitated people. Assertion of patient's authority to make decisions; Respect for patient's preferences; Community standards approach; Default mechanism for decisionmaking.
- Attendance allowance. Ennals, Simon // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);1/26/91, Vol. 302 Issue 6770, p228
Focuses on the relevance of attendance allowance to medical practice and patient care in Great Britain. Age classification directed by the government relative to attendance allowance; Guidelines concerning attendance allowance claims; Privileges given to the recipients.