Growing a grassroots effort
- Biosolids Composting in New York State. Johnston, Hannah J. // BioCycle;Feb99, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p36
Provides the findings of a survey of municipal biosolids composting facilities in New York State conducted in 1998 to determine the status of composting and the success of compost marketing programs. Types of composting systems; Odor management; Identified primary compost end uses in the state;...
- N.Y. towns consider joint program. Fleming, Megan // Waste News;11/23/98, Vol. 4 Issue 28, p11
Reports on the agreement of members of the Northwest Solid Waste Management Board in New York to study the need for a regional composting facility. Board's receipt of a grant to consider the facility which will reduce disposal costs; Need for approval of community officials of the plan before...
- UAE. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;2/11/2000, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p21
Reports on the build-operate contract on a compost plant at Al-Awir in Dubai in United Arab Emirates. Investments of the successful bidder; Details on the plant construction; Terms of the contract.
- Composting Key to Meeting Landfill Organics Ban. Friesen, Barry // BioCycle;Feb99, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p31
Presents information on composting facilities, one owned by Miller Composting and the New Era Farms compost plant in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Comment from Mayor Walter Fitzgerald; Cost of processing organic material at the facilities; Operational experiences after one month of operation.
- Container Composting in Colchester. Farrell, Molly // BioCycle;Feb99, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p34
Presents information on the composting facility located at the Colchester Balefill Facility in Colchester County, Nova Scotia. Capacity and cost of the facility; Details on the composting process; Selling price of a finished compost per metric ton.
- Longer Life For Biofilters. Goldstein, Nora // BioCycle;Jul99, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p62
Gives advice on how to use biofilter odor control systems at composting facilities. Biofilter media; Temperature and humidity control. INSET: Boost for the Biofilter.
- CITY OF EDMONTON BUYS MSW COMPOSTING FACILITY. Spotowski, Garry // BioCycle;Sep2001, Vol. 42 Issue 9, p23
Presents an update on the operation of the Edmonton municipal solid waste composting facility purchased by the city of Edmonton, Alberta on June 30, 2001. Reasons for acquiring the facility from TransAlta Corp.; Amount of compost processed; Quality of the product; Changes made to the management...
- Charleston compost site gets off to rocky start. Akohido, Byron // Waste News;11/30/98, Vol. 4 Issue 29, p4
Reports on the problems affecting the opening of the $4.3 million yard waste and sewage sludge composting facility in Charleston, West Virginia. Problems with the facility's mixer and conveyor belt.
- Baltimore City Turns Biosolids into Composting Success. Davidov, Robin // Waste Age;Jul99, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p16
Focuses on the success of biosolids composting program in Baltimore, Maryland. Use of in-vessel composting as the reliable technology; Selection of Aqua Alliance Inc. to design and operate the refuse disposal facility; Processes of composting; Role of Professional Services Group to the success...