The top of the heap
- Taking Public Sector Stock. Wolpin, Bill // World Wastes;Oct98, Vol. 41 Issue 10, p4
Editorial. Looks into the status of government solid waste operations in the United States. Percentage of total solid waste collected by cities and counties; Number of public landfills; Government ownership of transfer stations; Forms of waste processing.
- What a DUMP! Chiang, Mona // Science World;04/09/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 13, p14
Presents information on landfills and waste management in the United States.
- Imports plague Wis. Brown, Bob // Waste News;02/08/99, Vol. 4 Issue 39, p1
Reports that Wisconsin officials have considered their remaining options to limit waste imports after a federal appeals court blocked the state's second attempt to curb the flow of waste to its landfills. Alleged interference of the Wisconsin law with interstate commerce; Requirements under the...
- California landfill delays closing. // Waste News;03/15/99, Vol. 4 Issue 44, p6
Reports on the delay in the closure of the Spadra landfill in Pomona, California.
- Getting out of the biz. Johnson, Jim // Waste News;04/12/99, Vol. 4 Issue 48, p4
Highlights the decision of New York-based Niagara County Refuse Disposal District to sell three landfills in Lockport. Benefits of selling the construction and demolition (C&D) debris landfills in Lockport and two adjacent municipal solid waste landfills; Burden of future maintenance and...
- Utah county seeks solution. Wilkinson, Mitch // Waste News;7/1/96, Vol. 2 Issue 7, p14
Reports on the search for a waste transfer station in Weber County, Utah, following the decision to close the county's sanitary landfill. Opposition to the county's initial choices; Reasons for the closure of the landfill.
- Hole in the ground. Grogan, Peter L. // BioCycle;Jul95, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p86
Focuses on the landfill crisis as part of solid waste management. Impact on operational activity and budgets; Demonstration of total disregard for the economic value of estates; Landfilling materials as a poor management technique; Environmental hazards of landfills; Irrelevance of national...
- Killer problem. Brown, Bob // Waste News;06/07/99, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p1
Reports on New York City officials' exploration of ways to dispose of its garbage in preparation for the impending closure of the Fresh kills landfill on Staten Island. Sanitation Department's consideration of retrofitting its eight marine transfer stations to accommodate direct...
- Fresh kills' big lessons. // Waste News;06/07/99, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p8
Editorial. Focuses on New York City officials' search for waste disposal solutions as the city prepares for the impending closure of the Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island. Refusal of Pennsylvania and Virginia to accept waste transported from New York City; Implications of the issue for...