The top of the heap
- Taking Public Sector Stock. Wolpin, Bill // World Wastes;Oct98, Vol. 41 Issue 10, p4
Editorial. Looks into the status of government solid waste operations in the United States. Percentage of total solid waste collected by cities and counties; Number of public landfills; Government ownership of transfer stations; Forms of waste processing.
- What a DUMP! Chiang, Mona // Science World;04/09/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 13, p14
Presents information on landfills and waste management in the United States.
- California landfill delays closing. // Waste News;03/15/99, Vol. 4 Issue 44, p6
Reports on the delay in the closure of the Spadra landfill in Pomona, California.
- Utah county seeks solution. Wilkinson, Mitch // Waste News;7/1/96, Vol. 2 Issue 7, p14
Reports on the search for a waste transfer station in Weber County, Utah, following the decision to close the county's sanitary landfill. Opposition to the county's initial choices; Reasons for the closure of the landfill.
- Hole in the ground. Grogan, Peter L. // BioCycle;Jul95, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p86
Focuses on the landfill crisis as part of solid waste management. Impact on operational activity and budgets; Demonstration of total disregard for the economic value of estates; Landfilling materials as a poor management technique; Environmental hazards of landfills; Irrelevance of national...
- Killer problem. Brown, Bob // Waste News;06/07/99, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p1
Reports on New York City officials' exploration of ways to dispose of its garbage in preparation for the impending closure of the Fresh kills landfill on Staten Island. Sanitation Department's consideration of retrofitting its eight marine transfer stations to accommodate direct...
- Fresh kills' big lessons. // Waste News;06/07/99, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p8
Editorial. Focuses on New York City officials' search for waste disposal solutions as the city prepares for the impending closure of the Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island. Refusal of Pennsylvania and Virginia to accept waste transported from New York City; Implications of the issue for...
- Small space. Clancy, David // Waste News;06/07/99, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p42
Reports on Oakland County, California's search for landfill options as the county prepares for the closure of four landfills by 2006. Possible expansion of the Eagle Valley landfill; Revision of the county's solid waste plan; Adjustment of the county's recycling figures to reflect a more...
- N.C. landfill needs state approval. Gust, Steve // Waste News;03/13/2000, Vol. 5 Issue 43, p11
Focuses on the application for state approval made by Riegel Ridge LLC for its planned regional sanitary landfill project in North Carolina. Approval of the plan by Columbus County Commission; Economic impact of the project; Reason for the landfill project; Cost of the permit process.