Massachusetts Shuffles Transportation Management
- The Straight Scoop on SAFETEA-LU. Binder, Susan J. // Public Roads;Mar/Apr2006, Vol. 69 Issue 5, p1
This article focuses on the new U.S. Federal surface transportation legislation which seeks to introduce new programs and policies based on the ISTEA and TEA-21 foundations. Passage of the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy(A Legacy) for Users (SAFETEA-LU)...
- Transportation Policy in Canada: The National Transportation Act of 1967. Baldwin, J.R. // Transportation Journal;Fall67, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p5
The article presents information about transportation policy in Canada. The National Transportation Act of 1967 in Canada has recognized weakness in terms of both policy and machinery. This paragraphs describes the background which led to this legislation in Canada and the basic features of the...
- Is ‘C/O’ Consignee Responsible? Barrett, Colin // Traffic World;11/16/98, Vol. 256 Issue 7, p70
Answers questions related to transportation issues in the United States. Liabilities of a consignee in a carrier transportation; Terms in the ICC Termination Act; Meaning of the acronym LCL, which is commonly used in the carrier industry.
- Investment Floor. Ruane, Pete // Construction Bulletin;7/2/2004, Vol. 287 Issue 1, p30
The article discusses the United States Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21). TEA-21 significantly increased federal transportation investment. As the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate conferees hold their meetings to reconcile the differences in their respective...
- Tanks for the Memories. Greenblatt, Alan // Governing;Apr2009, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p12
The article discusses the idea of taxing mileage instead of gasoline in the U.S. The author cites the legalization of mileage tax in lieu of the usual fuel tax in Oregon. He notes that taxing fuel will still be the main source of revenue for transportation in contrast to the prediction that...
- ITS America forms Tennessee chapter. // Roads & Bridges;Dec2007, Vol. 45 Issue 12, p19
The article reports on the formation of The Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) of Tennessee, the newest state chapter of ITS America. It is the ITS Tennessee to improve the urban and rural surface transportation system in the state through a number of initiatives.
- The Economic Effects of Transport Deregulation in Australia. Nelson, James C. // Transportation Journal (American Society of Transportation & Log;Winter76, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p48
This article focuses on the economic effects of transport deregulation in Australia. Australia deregulated interstate transport in 1954 and since then two states. South Australia and New South Wales, have done likewise in 1968 and 1974, respectively. The experience of Australia with more than...
- Surface Transportation: Many Factors Affect Investment Decisions: GAO-04-744. Siggerud, Katherine // GAO Reports;6/30/2004, p1
Passenger and freight traffic are expected to grow substantially in the future, generating additional congestion and requiring continued investment in the nation's surface transportation system. Over the past 12 years, the federal government has provided hundreds of billions of dollars for...
- Assigning Liability for Charges. Barrett, Colin // Traffic World;4/10/2006, Vol. 270 Issue 15, p46
The article comments on question by an attorney about a case filed by an out-of-state transportation broker wanting to pursue an outstanding freight charge from a shipper. The attorney was inquiring about the shipper's responsibility for freight charges in the event that the contract is not signed.