Back in the Day, Cable Tried Carte
- Retrans Feuds Ease Up. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;6/22/2009, Vol. 30 Issue 25, p20
The article reports on the possibility of the decline on the re-transmission-consent volume by the broadcasters and pay television service providers in the U.S. It has been anticipated that the controversy between cable operators and the station groups can be solved. The relationship between the...
- ONWARD AND UPWARD WITH THE ARTS. Whiteside, Thomas // New Yorker;5/20/85, Vol. 61 Issue 13, p45
Focuses on the origin of cable television. Moratorium of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission on the licensing of television station; Expansion of the cable-television business; Creation of Subscription Television.
- Top 20 Cable TV Networks, 2003. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2004, p268
Lists the top 20 cable television networks in 2003, including TBS Superstation, ESPN, C-SPAN and Discovery Channel.
- ESPN's Action-Packed Highlights Reel. Schley, Stewart // Multichannel News;9/6/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 36, p16
Focuses on the development of the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN) in Connecticut. Broadcast network model followed by ESPN; Relationship of ESPN with the cable industry; Historic achievements of the industry. INSET: ESPN DRIVES DISNEY'S CABLE REVENUE ENGINE.
- Cable's Friendly to Families, Beta Finds. Reynolds, Mike // Multichannel News;4/19/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 16, p20
Provides information on the survey entitled, "2004 Beta Research Brand Identity Study." Top cable television stations that are family-oriented; Perceptions of viewers on advertising clutter; Networks described as entertaining.
- ESPN Classic plays with originals. Dempsey, John // Variety;5/31/2004, Vol. 395 Issue 3, p17
Discusses the condition of U.S. cable television station ESPN Classic in the television broadcasting industry, as of April 2004. Increase in the number of the station's subscribers from 1997 to April 2004; Factors which affected the station's ratings; Plan for the programming of the station.
- Two Carolinas, One Market. Romano, Allison // Broadcasting & Cable;8/15/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 33, p11
Characterizes the cable television market in North and South Carolina as of August 2005. Top performing economic sectors of the region; Amount of gross revenue posted by TV stations in 2004; Percentage of households with cable television subscription.
- Gay-Aimed 'Here! TV' Goes Premium. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;10/4/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 40, p10
Reports on the 24-hour premium network launched in 2004 by Here! TV, formerly just an on-demand and pay-per-view service targeting gay audiences. Pricing for the premium channel; Types of programs included in Here! TV's subscription video-on-demand service; Claims of most cable operators...
- The Great Divide. Higgins, John M. // Broadcasting & Cable;3/29/2004, Vol. 134 Issue 13, p1
Focuses on the gap between broadcasting and cable networks. Advertising rates of cable and broadcasting networks; Actions taken by broadcasters to compete with cable networks; Strategies of cable channels in attracting viewership.