Review: Pneumococcal vaccination does not prevent pneumonia or death in adults
- The Pneumococcus at the Millennium: Not Down, Not Out. Austrian, Robert // Journal of Infectious Diseases;3/15/99 Supplement 2, Vol. 179, pS338
Focuses on the biological importance of the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae. Diseases caused by the bacterium; Increase in the number of pneumococcal isolates resistant to antimicrobial agents; Relevance of pneumococcal vaccines.
- Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (Prevnarâ„¢Use of the US tradename is for product identification purposes only, and does not imply endorsement.; PNCRM7): A Review of its Use in the Prevention of Streptococcus pneumoniae Infection. Darkes, Malcolm J.M.; Plosker, Greg L. // Pediatric Drugs;2002, Vol. 4 Issue 9, p609
Reviews the use of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in the prevention of Streptococcus pneumoniae infection. Overview of Streptococcus pneumoniae and the role of polysaccharide vaccines; Immunogenicity; Protective efficacy; Tolerability; Dosage and administration.
- Pneumococcal Vaccine Recommendation. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Feb82, Vol. 96 Issue 2, p206
Discusses the recommendations of the American College of Physicians regarding the use of the pneumococcal vaccine against diseases caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae. Patients qualified for receiving the vaccine; Quantity of data on the correlation of pneumococcal bacteremia with age; Type of...
- Infection. // Africa Health;May2013, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p57
The article focuses on a trial conducted on 47369 children for analyzing the use of seven-valent pneumococcal vaccine in reducing rates of invasive pneumococcal disease.
- PCV7 vaccination decreased invasive pneumococcal disease. Blazek, Nicole; Haigh, Christen; Lewis, Jay; Volansky, Rob // Infectious Disease News;Sep2009, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p38
The article discusses research on the effect of PCV7 vaccination on invasive pneumococcal disease, by Kellner and colleagues, published in the 2009 issue of the "Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases."
- Pneumococcal diseases. // FDA Consumer;Jan/Feb98, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p34
Reports that Americans of all ages maybe at risk for pneumococcal diseases, a cause of vaccine-preventable deaths in the United States. Diseases under pneumococcal; Action taken by the national Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- The Influence of Chronic Illnesses on the Incidence of Invasive Pneumococcal Disease in Adults. Kyaw, Moe H.; Rose Jr., Charles E.; Fry, Alicia M.; Singleton, James A.; Moore, Zack; Zell, Elizabeth R.; Whitney, Cynthia G. // Journal of Infectious Diseases;8/1/2005, Vol. 192 Issue 3, p377
Pneumococcal disease is more frequent and more deadly in persons with certain comorbidities. We used 1999 and 2000 data from the Active Bacterial Core surveillance (ABCs) and the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) to determine rates of invasive pneumococcal disease in healthy adults...
- Multi-Serotype Pneumococcal Nasopharyngeal Carriage Prevalence in Vaccine NaÃ¯ve Nepalese Children, Assessed Using Molecular Serotyping. Kandasamy, Rama; Gurung, Meeru; Thapa, Anushil; Ndimah, Susan; Adhikari, Neelam; Murdoch, David R.; Kelly, Dominic F.; Waldron, Denise E.; Gould, Katherine A.; Thorson, Stephen; Shrestha, Shrijana; Hinds, Jason; Pollard, Andrew J. // PLoS ONE;Feb2015, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p1
Invasive pneumococcal disease is one of the major causes of death in young children in resource poor countries. Nasopharyngeal carriage studies provide insight into the local prevalence of circulating pneumococcal serotypes. There are very few data on the concurrent carriage of multiple...
- Administration of Protein-Conjugate Pneumococcal Vaccine to Patients Who Have Invasive Disease after Splenectomy Despite Their Having Received 23-Valent Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine. Musher, Daniel M.; Ceasar, Heather; Kojic, Erna M.; Musher, Benjamin L.; Gathe, Jr., Joseph C.; Romero-Steiner, Sandra; White, Jr., A. Clinton // Journal of Infectious Diseases;4/1/2005, Vol. 191 Issue 7, p1063
Patients who undergo splenectomy are at greatly increased risk for overwhelming pneumococcal bacteremia and death. Twenty-three-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPV-23), which contains capsular polysaccharides (PSs) from 23 common serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae, is strongly...