Urban Treasure: Prospect Park Audubon Center
- THE CHILKAT MIRACLE. Rearden, Jim // Audubon;Jan1984, Vol. 86 Issue 1, p41
Focuses on the Chilkat River Cooperative Bald Eagle Study conducted by the National Audubon Society and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Number of bald eagles in Alaska; Signing of a bill that established the Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve and the Haines State Forest Resource Management...
- The Birds' Last Stand. Tunley, Roul // Saturday Evening Post;4/23/1960, Vol. 232 Issue 43, p28
Focuses on the controversy over the proposed establishment of seaside resorts near the bird sanctuary in Stone Harbor, New Jersey. Concern on the tendency of the proposal to lead to the extinction of egrets; Reaction of the area's residents to the proposal; Economic and environmental benefits of...
- Fight to protect wild bird sanctuary. MATA, NESTOR // Filipino Reporter;4/12/2013, Vol. 41 Issue 19, p21
The article offers information on a fight for the protection and preservation of the foreshore and offshore urban wetlands along the coast of Manila Bay led by former Las PiÃ±as Representative Cynthia A. Villar. It notes that Villar strongly opposed the reclamation project that would affect...
- NUEVA LOCALIDAD PARA LA DISTRIBUCIÃ“N DE LA GALLINUELA ESCRIBANO (PARDIRALLUS MACULATUS) EN CUBA. Ferrer Sanchez, Yarelys; Ruiz Companioni, Idael; Inguanzo González, Raúl // Journal of Caribbean Ornithology;2011, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p34
In December 2006, four Spotted Rails (Pardirallus maculatus) were observed at El Venero Fauna Refuge, Ciego de Avila province, Cuba, providing a new locality for the species in Cuba.
- A Life with Birds. Alexander, Charles // Birder's World;Apr2003, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p40
Focuses on the contributions of former U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt to bird conservation in the country. Role of Roosevelt in establishing the National Wildlife Refuge System; Details on the bird-watching activities of Roosevelt; Information on several conservation programs enacted by...
- Joint-venture garden for Battery Park City. P.D.S. // Architectural Record;Aug1991, Vol. 179 Issue 8, p25
Reports that Cooper, Robertson & Partners is teaming with visual artist Jennifer Bartlett and landscape architects Quennell Rothschild to create the South Garden at New York's Battery Park City.
- A falls for remembering. Newman, J.L. // Focus;Winter89, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p21
Describes the views at Taughannock Falls State Park in New York. Height of the falls, considered the highest east of the Rockies; Surrounding gorges; Seasonal changes at the falls.
- Adirondack high. Mitchell, John G.; Stenzel, Maria // National Geographic;Jun98, Vol. 193 Issue 6, p118
Highlights the Adirondack Mountains in New York State. Details about Adirondack Park; Peaks in the area; The number of summits above 4,000 feet; The author's experience in hiking in the area; Aesthetic pleasures of the High Peaks and other Adirondack wilderness; The conflict of private...
- The Great Lakes Garden & Visitor Center. Mazzarella, Patricia // Conservationist;Jun93, Vol. 47 Issue 6, p36
Discusses an unusual garden, a living map of the Great Lakes, miniaturized lakes designed to scale, with lawn instead of water filling the lake beds, at the Niagara Reservation State Park. Nation's first state park; Great Lakes Garden and Visitor Center; Four upper lakes, Superior, Michigan,...