Expression profiling: Fishing and chips
- Pitfalls in Experimental Designs for Characterizing the Transcriptional, Methylational and Copy Number Changes of Oncogenes and Tumor Suppressor Genes. Zhang, Yuannv; Xia, Jiguang; Zhang, Yujing; Qin, Yao; Yang, Da; Qi, Lishuang; Zhao, Wenyuan; Wang, Chenguang; Guo, Zheng // PLoS ONE;Mar2013, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p1
Background: It is a common practice that researchers collect a set of samples without discriminating the mutants and their wild-type counterparts to characterize the transcriptional, methylational and/or copy number changes of pre-defined candidate oncogenes or tumor suppressor genes (TSGs),...
- Radically different maxicircle classes within the same kinetoplast: an artefact or a novel feature of the kinetoplast genome? Flegontov, Pavel N.; Kolesnikov, Alexander A. // Kinetoplastid Biology & Disease;2006, Vol. 5, p1
We discuss here some results which suggest that radically different maxicircle classes coexist within the same kinetoplast. These data, although tentative and incomplete, may provide a new outlook on the kinetoplast genome structure and expression.
- Enhancing Yeast Transcription Analysis Through Integration of Heterogeneous Data. Grotkjaer, T.; Nielsen, J. // Current Genomics;Dec2004, Vol. 5 Issue 8, p673
DNA microarray technology enables the simultaneous measurement of the transcript level of thousands of genes. Primary analysis can be done with basic statistical tools and cluster analysis, but effective and in depth analysis of the vast amount of transcription data requires integration with...
- Erratum to: Efficient experimental design for uncertainty reduction in gene regulatory networks. // BMC Bioinformatics;12/14/2015, Vol. 16, p1
A correction to the article "Efficient experimental design for uncertainty reduction in gene regulatory networks,' by Roozbeh Dehghannasiri, Byung-Jun Yoon, and Edward R. Dougherty is presented.
- Elucidating regulatory mechanisms downstream of a signaling pathway using informative experiments. Szczurek, Ewa; Gat-Viks, Irit; Tiuryn, Jerzy; Vingron, Martin // Molecular Systems Biology;2009, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p287
Signaling cascades are triggered by environmental stimulation and propagate the signal to regulate transcription. Systematic reconstruction of the underlying regulatory mechanisms requires pathway-targeted, informative experimental data. However, practical experimental design approaches are...
- Generating mice with targeted mutations. Capecchi, Mario R. // Nature Medicine;Oct2001, Vol. 7 Issue 10, p1086
Focuses on mutational analysis, an informative approaches available for the study of complex biological processes. Steps taken for development of gene targeting in mice; Description of the experiments conducted.
- Overexpression of the EZH2, RING1 and BMI1 genes is common in myelodysplastic syndromes: relation to adverse epigenetic alteration and poor prognostic scoring. Feng Xu; Xiao Li; Lingyun Wu; Qingxia Zhang; Rui Yang; Yujuan Yang; Zheng Zhang; Qi He; Chunkang Chang // Annals of Hematology;Jun2011, Vol. 90 Issue 6, p643
Epigenetics refers to the study of clonally inherited changes in gene expression without accompanying genetic changes. Previous research on the epigenetics of myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) mainly focused on the inactivation of tumor suppressor genes as a result of DNA methylation. However, the...
- Combining Ability and Heterosis for Yield and Fiber Quality Properties in Cotton (G. hirsutum L.) obtained by Half Diallel Mating Design. KARADEMIR, Emine; GENÇER, Oktay // Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca;2010, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p222
The objective of this study was to investigate the general combining ability (GCA) of parents and specific combining ability (SCA) of hybrids and also the genetic behavior for studied characteristics in the population obtained by 7x7 half diallel quantitative analysis method involving four MAR...
- First Studies of the Influence of Single Gene Perturbations on the Inference of Genetic Networks. Emmert-Streib, Frank; Dehmer, Matthias // International Journal of Biomedical Sciences;2007, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p253
Inferring the network structure from time series data is a hard problem, especially if the time series is short and noisy. DNA microarray is a technology allowing to monitor the mRNA concentration of thousands of genes simultaneously that produces data of these characteristics. In this study we...