- SOME OBSERVATIONS ABOUT RITUAL IN SPORT. Mazurkiewicz, Michaƚ // Studies in Physical Culture & Tourism;2012, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p317
The article presents an analysis of ritual - a phenomenon in human life known since the dawn of mankind. A predilection for rituals is one of the main features of human beings. Each community has developed certain rituals because they determine the attitude of a given group towards the world....
- MÃATAN K'OL: LA FLEXIBILIDAD EN EL RITUAL. BALAM GÓMEZ, PATRICIA MARÍA; RUIZ ALONSO, ILEANA BEATRIZ; SOLÍS SOSA, IVÁN DE JESÚS // Estudios de Cultura Maya;2009, Vol. 34, p145
In the present work is described and analyzed the mÃ¡atan k'ol, an agricultural and collective ritual realized in the municipality of Santa Elena, in the south of YucatÃ¡n. The presence of a woman as the ritual specialist, the objectives of the ritual and the sacrifice are emphasized as key...
- RITUALES DE HETZMEK EN YUCATÃN. VILLANUEVA VILLANUEVA, NANCY BEATRIZ; PRIETO, VIRGINIA NOEMÍ // Estudios de Cultura Maya;2009, Vol. 33, p73
In this paper we review, systematize and analyze the studies that have been done on rituals of hetzmek in YucatÃ¡n, as a starting point for subsequent ethnographic research on this topic. We are interested in examining how these rituals have been analyzed and interpreted. Our focus is on: a)...
- The Naked Truth. Couts, Janelle // Spa Management;Oct2007, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p76
The article discusses the author's experience of attending the Hammam, a tradition found in Moroccan communities as a place for social gathering and ritual cleansing.
- The ceremonies of innocence. Ackerman, Diane // Victoria (Hearst Magazines, a division of Hearst Communications,;Nov97, Vol. 11 Issue 11, p120
Comments on the value of rituals and ceremony to life. Author's invention of Blossom Day with a friend; Importance of rituals; Rituals in sports; Origin in primitive rites; Personal rituals by the author.
- Nonrational Classroom Performance: Ritual as an Aspect of Action. Quantz, Richard A.; Magolda, Peter M. // Urban Review;Dec97, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p221
Through the presentation and analysis of two extended examples, the authors develop a clear conceptualization of ritual as formalized, symbolic performance and show how such a conceptualization allows us to look at ritual as an aspect of action rather than as a type of action. As an aspect of...
- Variability in Eritrea and the Archaeology of the Northern Horn During the First Millennium BC: Subsistence, Ritual, and Gold Production. Schmidt, Peter // African Archaeological Review;Dec2009, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p305
Around the margins of Asmara, Eritrea, hundreds of sites dating to the early and mid-first millennium BC have been documented. They range from single family dwellings to small and large hamlets, small and large villages, and small towns. We call these Ancient Ona sites, using the Tigrinya term...
- Weird ritual. // South Asian Post;12/16/2010, p20
The article reports on the criticisms directed at the 400-year-old urulu seve or roll over ritual in which people roll over plantain leaves with leftovers of high caste Brahmins' meals at the temple in Karnataka, India to treat their skin diseases.
- Guru greater than God? Chopra, Parveen // Desi Talk;6/27/2014, Vol. 18 Issue 26, p33
The article reports that there is an opportunity to meet a Satguru on Guru Poornima on July 12, 2014 in the New York metropolitan area.