Casino Debate Builds
- Landlords place bets on bringing Vegas to London. Cockram, Andrea // Estates Gazette;10/18/2003, Issue 342, p33
Presents updates on the British gambling industry as of October 18, 2003, such as the possible changes to the gambling laws. Casino opportunity in the route from Piccadilly Circus to Leicester Square; Remarks from John Anderson, CEO of Burford Group.
- Indonesia reportedly considers casino expansion. // International Gaming & Wagering;Jan2008, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p17
The article reports that some Indonesian politicians are proposing for a casino on Bintan, an island near Singapore. Report says that local government officials are supportive of the proposal. The casino gaming resort may generate $132 million revenue for the island and will be a boost to its...
- Around the World: SOUTH AMERICA. // International Gaming & Wagering;Jun2006, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p12
Offers news briefs related to the gambling industry in South America as of June 2006. Plan by the Chilean Senate to introduce regulations that would curb the proliferation of illegal slot machines outside licensed facilities in the country; Launch of the French-styled Paris Bingo in Sao Paulo,...
- Colorado legislation seeks referendum on casino reforms. // International Gaming & Wagering;Jun2008, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p10
The article reports on the passage of a referendum for casino reforms in Colorado. Accordingly, the referendum asks for an increase of casino bet limits, addition of new games and extension of operating hours. It further notes the required number of signatures for the bill to make it into a...
- Western Expansion. Warson, Albert // International Gaming & Wagering;Jul2006, Vol. 27 Issue 7, p17
Focuses on the status of the gambling industry in British Columbia. Expansion of the Gateway Casinos-Burnaby; Contribution of the decision of British Columbian government to double the limit on permitted gambling devices to the growth of the interest of gambling operators in the region; Factors...
- Glitzy new games are in a class by themselves. Parets, Robyn Taylor // International Gaming & Wagering;Mar2005, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p1
Reports on the success of Class II casinos in the U.S. Advantage of electronic bingo games; Importance of the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act of 1988 to Class II casinos; Contributions of Class II casinos to the gaming industry.
- Where the Action Is. // Time;7/19/1971, Vol. 98 Issue 3, p26
The article discusses the gambling industry of Asian countries that is gradually attaining legal face with continued cooperation of respective governments. Genting Highlands Hotel casino based in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur is one such example of first legalized casino in the country....
- Net gaming a venue for new revenue. Burbank, Jeff // Las Vegas Business Press;04/16/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 16, p1
Discusses the impact of the passage of online gaming legislation on the casino operators in Nevada. Business opportunities presented by online gaming to operators; Creation of more jobs; Provisions of the legislative bill.
- God Save the Ace. // Time;
The article focuses on London, England, as the world's second biggest gambling center behind Las Vegas, Nevada. It notes that it become so big that few casino clubs can now afford of flying Vegas' big gamblers, most travel expense paid, and count on making profit from the money their guests...