CTAM PREVIEW: NEAR-TERM TECHNOLOGIES
- MPEG easing capacity crunch. Dickson, Glen // Broadcasting & Cable;
Reports on digital compression gears used by broadcasters and cable television networks to get the most from their satellite capacity. Includes the Instrument DigiCipher I compression gear for PBS; Wegener MPEG-2 for National Broadcasting Co. Inc.; Home Box Office's conversion from DigiCipher I...
- EMCORE to Demonstrate End-to-End DOCSIS 3.1 CATV Transmission Link at SCTE's Cable-Tec Expo. // Fiber Optics Weekly Update;9/26/2014, Vol. 34 Issue 39, p10
The article announces the planned demonstration of the End-to-End Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) 3.1 cable television (CATV) transmission link capabilities of semiconductor company EMCORE Corp. at the Society of Cable Television's Cable-Tec Exposition on September...
- DISCOVERY MONITORS WITH VOLICON. // Broadcasting & Cable;12/10/2007, Vol. 137 Issue 49, p22
The article reports that the cable television company Discovery Communications will employ the Volicon Observer system to monitor the broadcasts of all 18 of the company's different signals. The Observer monitors Discovery's broadcasts as they are seen in real time at the cable system headends...
- Data over coax. // Telephony;5/15/95, Vol. 228 Issue 20, p10
Reports on the popularity of cable television modems.
- Voice over IP adds spice to cable modem services. Greene // Network World;11/30/98, Vol. 15 Issue 48, p6
Reports on Motorola's plan to introduce its multimedia terminal adapter (MTA) cable modem that allows cable television-based Internet service providers to offer voice over IP services. Features and functions of the MTA cable modem.
- Shrinking Modem Margins Could Spark Consolidation. Baumgartner, Jeff // Multichannel News;5/14/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 20, p3
Reports the decrease in cable-modem margins in the United States. Comments of cable-modem vendors on the problem; Forecasts on the consolidation among vendors selling equipment certified for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) 1.0; Percentage of DOCSIS-based modems shipped...
- Ops Encourage the Do-It-Yourselfers. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;12/04/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 49, p78
Reports the launch of self-installation option for cable modems and digital set-top boxes in the United States. Implication for digital cable and Internet access deployment by multi-system operators; Impact on professional installers; Plan of Comcast Corp. to market Comcast@Home installation...
- FIRST-TIME CERTIFIED CABLE MODEM VENDORS CHOOSE MICROTUNE RF. // PC Business Products;Aug2001, p2
Reports that companies whose cable modems were certified for the first time for DOCSIS by Cable Television Laboratories Inc., have deployed Microtune Inc.'s radio frequency tuner-receiver technology. Examples of such companies that have deployed Microtune's technology; Product profile.
- Broadcaster's Law not adhering to Moore's Law. Hilt, Mark // TVB Europe;Nov2012, p26
The author reflects on trend in the International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) 2012 conference and trade held in London, England. He cites the growing popularity of three-dimensional television (3DTV) in the market, which prompted several big brand names to showcase their products. He also...