Phillip West Sworn In As First Black Natchez, MS, Mayor
- Phillip West Sworn In As First Black Natchez, MS, Mayor. // Jet;
The article reports that at least 650 people were on hand for the recent swearing-in ceremony of Natchez, Mississippi's first Black mayor since Reconstruction. Phillip West, former state representative, county supervisor and civil rights activist, beat seven other candidates and won the race by...
- BLACK POWER & BLACK PRIDE. // Time;Dec1967, Vol. 90 Issue 22, p40
The article focuses on the spirit of defiance displayed by campaigns of black civil rights activists in Mississippi in 1966. The violent race relations in the post-Reconstruction period is threatened to be relived by the intensity of campaigns. Despair and disaffection of the poor, uneducated,...
- Finding the Line: The Origin of Grant Parish and the Recent Dispute over Its Boundary. HOWELL, THOMAS // Louisiana History;Spring2010, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p215
The article discusses the public administration of parishes and boundaries in Louisiana during Reconstruction. The author reflects on the creation of Grant Parish by legislator William "Willie" Calhoun and the making of Calhoun's plantation as the county seat. A legal dispute over the common...
- Editorial Notes. // New Republic;3/15/19, Vol. 18 Issue 228, p195
Reports on political developments around the world. Threat of mutiny emanated from Christian statesmen's enforcement of common soldiers to connive at the starvation of German women and children. Failure of a bill to appropriation for the U.S. railways which might have served Director General for...
- Restoration of Tennessee. // Restoration of Tennessee;2009, p364
Presents the July 24, 1866 joint resolution of the US Senate and House of Representatives restoring of Tennessee to its former relations to the Union. Brief history of the state during the Civil War; The state's revised constitution; Provisions for congressional representation; Approval of the...
- Characterization and reconstruction of historical London, England, acidic aerosol concentrations Ito, K.; Thurston, G. D. // Environmental Health Perspectives;Feb1989, Vol. 79, p35
No abstract available.
- Letters. Lewis, John P. // Inside Tucson Business;1/3/2005, Vol. 14 Issue 29, p5
Presents a letter to the editor about the reconstruction of Mount Lemmon, Arizona.
- Troubled times. Adelman, Louis C.; Wilmore, Kathy // Junior Scholastic;1/13/95 & 1/20/95, Vol. 97 Issue 9/10, p25
Presents a play recreating the Reconstruction period in the United States history from 1865 to 1877. Characters; Important dates.
- One Nation Now? Price, Sean // Junior Scholastic;2/25/2008, Vol. 110 Issue 13, p12
The article reports on the relevance of political reconstruction in the U.S. history during 1865-1877.