Navy Cracking Glass Wall Between Reserve, Active Forces
- Hybrid Sailors. Burgess, Richard R. // Sea Power;Dec2005, Vol. 48 Issue 12, p21
The article discusses how the merger of job specialties is transforming the United States Navy's manpower base and opening up a wider array of jobs for many sailors. It discusses the decision of the service to combine ratings for similar job specialties. The merger of the Gunner's Mate and...
- Seattle Council Co-Hosts Seafair Fleet Port Visits. Atkinson, Peter // Sea Power;Dec2005, Vol. 48 Issue 12, p50
The article reports on developments concerning the United States Navy League as of December 2005. It highlights the 55th Annual Seafair in Seattle, Washington. The article also reports on the problems encountered by the Richmond, Virginia Council during its Coast Guard anniversary celebration. A...
- ERRATUM. // Naval Forces;2008, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p159
Several corrections to the articles related to Naval arts and science including "Fire on Demand" published, "Unmanned MCM Systems" and "Heavy Punch" published in the previous issues.
- Eye on the Fleet. // All Hands;Jun2003, Issue 1034, p44
Presents photographs depicting U.S. Navy personnel in action recent as of June 2003. Fire and rescue drill using fire resistant proximity suits; Security watch at the Naval Air Station in Whidbey Island, Washington; Maintenance of electrical conductors aboard warships.
- Commander, Navy Installations Stands UP. Fors, Eileen Kelly // All Hands;Dec2003, Issue 1040, p8
Reports that RADM Christopher Weaver has addressed the "Top Five" series of priorities established to help the United States Navy focus on issues most critical to sustained success. Alignment set when installation management claimants transferred their administrative installation support...
- Capt Stephen W. Ferguson, Master, USNS Big Horn. // Sea Power;May2005, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p56
Relates the author's experience in the U.S. Navy. Decision to follow his father's footsteps in the Naval Academy; Tour of duty aboard a cruiser, two destroyers and an amphibian; Experience in commanding the USS Big Horn; Average age of the crew of the USS Big Horn.
- Current Operations Provide Lessons For Future Sea Basing Plans. Fein, Geoff // Defense Daily;1/10/2008, Vol. 237 Issue 6, p4
The article deals with the capability of the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marine Corps to deliver assistance from sea without leaving a footprint ashore. Even if the Navy and the Marines will not begin actual sea base operations until the 2020 time frame, their services have been demonstrating, in...
- NET-CENTRIC BEFORE ITS TIME. Dahl, Erik J. // Naval War College Review;Autumn2005, Vol. 58 Issue 4, p109
Compares the network-centric warfare (NCW) concept of the U.S. Navy and the Jeune Ã‰cole concept of the French Navy. Role of NCW as the leading vision for the transformation of warfare in the U.S.; Similarities in ideas between the concepts; Reasons for the failure of the French Navy's...
- Lateral Hand-Off. Burgess, Richard R. // Sea Power;Feb2010, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p18
The article reports that the U.S. Navy will take part in a Joint Capability Technology Demonstration (JCTD). It notes that JCTD is created to lead a glide bomb dropped from a strike fighter to a target with sensor data. It adds that the capability will push the effort to use a battle network to...