Muscle Power Behind a Campus Facelift
- Turbine Uses Building Steam to Generate Power. // Plant Engineering;Sep2006, Vol. 60 Issue 9, Special section p8
The article provides information about the microsteam system which is designed and manufactured by Carrier Corp. This system is designed for installation into existing commercial, industrial and institutional steam systems to produce 275 kilowatts of electricity. Moreover, the system recovers...
- Watch your fault levels. // European Power News;Sep2000, Vol. 25 Issue 9, p11
Looks at areas which can cause problems in the design of electric power distribution systems. Types of protection used on most distribution systems; Fault levels; LV switchgear; Circuit breakers.
- The shrinking world of power generation. Russell, Eric // European Power News;Mar2001, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p7
Focuses on the potential for distributed power generation in Europe. Forecast on the widespread use of microturbines; Vision of the virtual utility, a network of microturbines controlled from a central point; Development of micropower technology from large scale power generating systems.
- Small scale, big potential. Varley, James // Modern Power Systems;Jun99, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p17
Highlights results of a study on the shift to small scale distributed power generation from traditional central station generating plants. Percent growth of fuel cell market; Percent growth of engine/generator set business; Advantages. INSET: Crunch year for gasification technology.
- Transfer switch a must for generators. // Western Farmer-Stockman;Mar2011, Vol. 134 Issue 3, p41
The article discusses the importance of generator's transfer switch, which protects the generator and power distribution equipment.
- Transmission Constraints and Imperfect Markets for Power. L�utier, Thomas-Olivier // Journal of Regulatory Economics;Jan2001, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p27
This article argues that, white most of the economic gains from the restructuring of the power industry will be achieved in electricity generation, trading and retailing, the transmission grid holds the keys to an important share of the economic value created by the process. Using a simple...
- Do Centrally Committed Electricity Markets Provide Useful Price Signals? Sioshansif, Ramteen; Tignor, Ashlin // Energy Journal;2012, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p97
Centrally committed markets rely on an independent system operator to determine the commitment and dispatch of generators. This is done by solving a unit commitment model, which is an NP-hard mixed integer program that is rarely (if ever) solved to complete optimality. We demonstrate, using a...
- SIZING OF DG UNIT OPERATED AT OPTIMAL POWER FACTOR TO REDUCE LOSSES IN RADIAL DISTRIBUTION A CASE STUDY. Devi, A. Lakshmi; Subramanyam, B. // Journal of Theoretical & Applied Information Technology;2008, Vol. 4 Issue 10, p973
Distributed generators are very much beneficial in reducing the losses effectively compared to other methods of loss reduction. In this paper optimal size of DG unit operated at optimal power factor is dealt. DG unit placement using fuzzy logic and sizing of DG at any power factor is calculated...
- NYC Courthouse Gets a Lift. Fitzpatrick, Keith; Giunta, Mike // Consulting-Specifying Engineer;Apr2004, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p38
Focuses on the renovation of Manhattan civil court in New York City. Need to completely upgrade the electrical infrastructure and emergency power distribution system; Installation of temporary switchboard and emergency generator on the roof; Renovation of parking for judges and court personnel;...