Ready, Set, Read
- A community volunteer tutorial that works. Invernizzi, Marcia; Juel, Connie // Reading Teacher;Dec96/Jan97, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p304
Opinion. Discusses the benefits and features of the Volunteer Tutorial community reading program in Charlottesville, Virginia. Program description; Responsibilities of volunteer tutor and reading coordinator; Sequence of core activities followed by tutors; Description of each tutoring session;...
- State's Program Recognizes that Schools, Students, and Parents Play Critical Roles. // Adult Learning;Apr91, Vol. 2 Issue 6, p24
Cites the critical roles played by schools, students, and parents in Tennessee's literacy initiative. Drop-out prevention program and adult literacy programs; Poverty and illiteracy among the state's adults; Full-time family literacy and workplace literacy programs.
- Bulverde / Spring Branch Library Texas Bluebonnet Program Celebrates Fire Prevention Week. Pettit, Mary // Bulverde Standard (Canyon Lake, TX);10/11/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 41, p14
The article reports on the visit by the Bulverde Fire Department hosted by the Bulverde/Spring Branch Library in Texas. The firefighters provide a talk to school children about fire safety, bookmarks, fire hats and badges. The children are also given the opportunity to climb up into a fire...
- IAFC issues challenge to national code organizations. // Fire Chief;Apr2003, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p12
Reports on the International Association of Fire Chiefs' fire safety challenges to national code organizations in the U.S. Fire disasters in Rhode Island, Chicago and Connecticut; Need for code development process; Adoption of safety precautions to inform the public about safety measures and...
- Fire Safety Literacy Project gets funding. // Reading Today;Apr/May2005, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p4
Reports on a grant received by the Home Safety Council, ProLiteracy Worldwide and the Oklahoma State University's Fire Protection Publications to expand the Fire Safety Literacy Project in the U.S. Overview of the project; Goal of the project.
- Sparking Interest in Nature--Family Style. Satterlee, Donna J.; Cormons, Grace O. // YC: Young Children;Jan2008, Vol. 63 Issue 1, p16
The article provides information on the Shore People Advancing Readiness for Knowledge (SPARK) program that has been introduced in a rural Virginia county. The program is designed to advance literacy and environmental knowledge of the local community that has long been combating generational...
- Adult Literacy in Scotland. // Literacy Today;Mar2010, Issue 62, p23
The article reports on adult literacy and numeracy improvement as a national strategy in Scotland. The author evaluates the supports of the community learning and development (CLD) and Adult Literacy and Numeracy Partnerships (ALNPs) in local authorities and colleges that organize and deliver...
- Rewriting Confinement: Feminist and Queer Critical Literacy in SpeakOut! Writing Workshops. Jacobi, Tobi; Becker, Stephanie L. // Radical Teacher;Winter2012, Issue 95, p32
An essay is presented on the work of workshop facilitators of SpeakOut's community literacy project in Fort Collins, Colorado. It notes the challenge posed by material constraints and institutional regulations on the promotion of literacy. It enacts queer and feminist pedagogy by examining the...
- Miami-Dade Embraces Young Readers. Maughan, Shannon // Publishers Weekly;10/20/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 42, p13
Reports on the effort taken by officials in the Miami-Dade area in Florida to extend the idea of community-wide reading programs to include kids. Sponsors of the program; Objectives of the program; Services to be offered.