- Mudslide Recovery. // Fire Chief;Feb2005, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p18
The article presents photographs of Ventura City firefighter who stands watch, holding an air horn to blow in case the cliffs above give way, as workers look for victims of a mudslide that left 10 people dead and 20 missing. Thirteen homes had been destroyed and 18 damaged a day earlier as the...
- Hot Seats. // Fire Chief;Aug2005, Vol. 49 Issue 8, p22
The article presents photographs fire fighters doing rescue operations in the U.S. The Hauppauge Fire Department, New York, was called to extinguish a 40-foot trailer completely engulfed in flames behind the Smithtown Sheraton Hotel on Motor Parkway. The trailer contained furniture and vinyl...
- Web Poll. // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;8/3/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 182, p4
In this article, the author highlights the comments from Internet users about the issue on the fair way to charge for fire and rescue services.
- Firefighters rescue boy trapped in safe. Pokin, Steve // St. Charles Journal;8/3/2011, Vol. 46 Issue 62, pA2
The article reports that firefighters on July 31, 2011, rescued a 2-year-old boy who had locked himself in a safe while playing hide-and-seek his sibling at Wentzville, Missouri.
- Rescue points to ponder. Downey, Ray // Fire Engineering;May96, Vol. 149 Issue 5, p26
Presents photographs of rescue operations by firefighters with emphasis on several factors to consider when conducting an operation.
- Responding to jumper incidents. Langone, Thomas M. // Fire Engineering;May96, Vol. 149 Issue 5, p72
Offers advice for fire fighters on how to conduct a rope rescue. Team readiness and training; Responding to a report of a jumper incident; Rescue assignments.
- Search and Rescue in Single-family Dwellings, Part 3. GUSTIN, BILL; LASKY, RICK // Fire Engineering;Oct98, Vol. 151 Issue 10, p81
Part III. Offers advice on search and rescue operations for fire fighters in single-family dwellings. Use of hoselines as guides; Identification of hose couplings by feel; Attaching search ropes. INSET: Enhancing Our Life Line.
- More on the Meaning of Strategy and Tactics. BRENNAN, TOM // Fire Engineering;Oct98, Vol. 151 Issue 10, p140
Examines issues affecting rescue work for fire fighters. Meaning of rescue operations; Two parts of a search; Author's experience in rescue work.
- SEARCH ROPE BASICS FOR LARGE IDEAS. Miles, John; Tobin, John // Fire Engineering;Dec2002, Vol. 155 Issue 12, p20
Focuses on the challenges met by firefighters in performing search operations under fire conditions in large open floor spaces. Use of search ropes for easy deployment; Need for fire departments to have a standard search technique; Utilization of a thermal imaging camera in working with a...