Line-Item Veto Unlikely to Slow Congress on D.C. Budget
- D.C. Mayor, Told He Has Line-Item Veto Powers, Weighs Budget Options. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;6/10/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31902, p29
Reports on the consideration of Washington D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams to use his item veto on the proposed budget of the district. Prediction of the reaction of the council on the assertion of the mayor of his line item veto authority; Impact of a mayoral veto on the progress of the budget;...
- How to succeed at increasing spending without really trying: The balanced budget amendment .... Gabel, Matthew J.; Hager, Gregory L. // Public Choice;Jan2000, Vol. 102 Issue 1/2, p19
Focuses on the proposed line-item veto and balanced budget amendment for pork-barrel spending in the United States. Importance of line item veto; Role of the president in vetoing a bill; Proposals of institutional reforms.
- A line-item veto may be in president Clinton's future: McLaughlin, Abraham T.; Bandrapalli, Suman // Christian Science Monitor;11/10/95, Vol. 87 Issue 243, p2
Reports on the likely emergence of a consensus regarding budgetary veto rights of the president in a spending bill.
- D.C. Mayor Signs Budget, But Vetoes Inspector General Provision. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;6/16/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31906, p36
Reports that Washington, D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams signed the proposed $4.16 billion budget for the fiscal year that begins October 2004 but vetoed a provision related to the way the Office of the Inspector General's budget is determined each year. Vetoed provision would have given the...
- Promise of budget veto may require New Mexico to call special session. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;03/24/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30605, p31
Reports on the New Mexico Legislature's possible conduct of a special session to settle a dispute with Governor Gary Johnson over the budget. Johnson's expected veto on the budget passed by the Legislature; Policy issues which may arise during the session; Proposals to include Johnson's school...
- Tennessee Legislature Overrides Governor's Veto of `Fudge-It Budget'. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;06/29/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30923, p4
Reports that the Tennessee Legislature has overridden Governor Don Sundquist's veto of the state's budget bill for 2001. Budget's reliance on projected revenue estimates rather than implementation of new taxes or expense reduction; Other concerns by Sundquist about the budget.
- Governor Scott signs budget, vetoes nearly $500 million. FINEOUT, GARY // South Florida Times;7/2/2015, Vol. 25 Issue 27, p1A
The article reports that Rick Scott, Governor of Florida has enforced a 78 billion dollars budget law by using his line-item veto power.
- D.C. Mayor Delays Law Requiring Insurers To Cover Contraceptives. // Best's Review;Sep2000, Vol. 101 Issue 5, p22
Reports that Washington D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams has delayed the implementation of a law requiring insurance companies to pay for contraceptives under their health plans. Pocket veto for the bill covering the law; Possibility of a 'conscience law' which would exempt religious organizations;...
- DELINEATING THE POWER OF THE GOVERNOR AND THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY WITH RESPECT TO APPROPRIATIONS IN PENNSYLVANIA: AN ANALYSIS OF JUBELIRER V. RENDELL. Santo, Nicole M. // Widener Law Journal;2010, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p421
This article examines the power of the governor in Pennsylvania to delete portions of an appropriation bill that define funding terms without vetoing the actual monetary figure that accompanies the language. A simplified process of constitutional construction is presented that clearly outlined...