California Again Mulls Pension Debt
- Good Luck, Arnold. Goodno, Jim // Planning;Jan2004, Vol. 70 Issue 1, p4
Reports on the problems faced by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger while governing California. Problems of crushing budget due to economic troubles and dubious fiscal policy; Constraints of local economy by state regulations; Controversial weapon of ballot initiative and legislative referendum;...
- California Makes $150M Stem Cell Loan. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/21/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32428, p4
The article reports that California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has authorized a $150 million general fund loan to the state's stem cell research institute. The California Institute for Regenerative Medicine was established in 2004 after voters approved a ballot measure authorizing $3 billion...
- Schwarzenegger Pushes Spending Cap., $15B Deficit Bond. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;12/3/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31773, p6
Reports on the budget cap and bond issue plan of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Payment of the budget deficit of the state; Expansion of gubernatorial authority.
- California Governor's Plans Get Democratic Support. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;2/11/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31819, p30
Reports on the proposal of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for an economic recovery bond measure in San Francisco, California. Emphasis on restoring the state's fiscal health; Support given by Democratic Party Senators; Creation of a budget reserve fund.
- California's long road to recovery. Gibbons, Valerie // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;12/5/2003, Issue 323174, p1
Reports on the statewide tour of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to rally public support of his California Recovery Plan. Efforts to recover the state's budget deficit; Specifications of the bond proposal included in the plan; Mechanism to restore fiscal integrity.
- California adds another layer to growing debt. Gibbons, Valerie // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;11/14/2003, Issue 323165, p1
Reports on the growing public debt in the state of California. Use of a series of short term loans to pay the state's operating expenses; State expenditures; Need for Governor Schwarzenegger to develop a contingency plan for the budget.
- A Warning from Westly. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;10/30/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31751, p1
Relates the views of California Controller Steve Westly on the possible impact of governor-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger's plan to put a general obligation bond issue on a March 2004 ballot. Interest costs of the bond issue; Estimated total debt service if the deficit bonds were sold now.
- Schwarzenegger's Plan Calls for $15B of GOs to Go Before Voters. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;11/19/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31765, p1
Announces the fiscal recovery plan of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Identification of general obligation fiscal recovery bond; Details on the final maturity of the prospective bonds; Establishment of spending limit.
- A Governor's Gamble. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/30/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31937, p1
Reports on the bond issuance to provide a cash infusion for California in return for allowing expanded tribal gambling rights. Agreement between Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger with five Indian tribes; Reaction of the voters to two gaming proposals; Generation of additional state revenue.