Colorado's High Court Strikes Down School Voucher Program
- Voucher Provision Delays Vote on D.C. Spending Bill. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;9/8/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31714, p4
Reports on the decision of the U.S. House to postponed vote on the $7.9 billion District of Columbia spending bill for the fiscal year beginning on October 1, 2003. Concerns among Republican party members regarding the five-year school voucher pilot program; Amount proposed for the voucher...
- Last Month in Education. // Curriculum Review;Oct2004, Vol. 44 Issue 2, following p8
Presents updates on issues related to education in the U.S. as of October 2004. Launch of the Charter School Leadership Council designed to expand the principles of the charter movement in U.S. education; Reason given by the Colorado Supreme Court for the cancellation of the state's school...
- `Back door' voucher bill advances in Senate. // Church & State;Mar1998, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p3
Presents information on a Religious Right-backed bill on educational vouchers which was passed in the United States on February 10, 1998. Purpose of the bill; Identification of the individual who originally introduced the bill; Indication that members of the Clinton administration opposed the bill.
- Deal May Pave Way for Milwaukee Voucher Expansion. Richard, Alan // Education Week;3/1/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 25, p18
This article reports that another 7,500 students could use state-financed tuition vouchers to attend private schools in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, under an agreement between Wisconsin's Democratic governor and the Republican speaker of the Assembly. The deal, introduced as legislation in February...
- Tuition tax credit issue could be key to winning state office. // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;6/14/2004, Vol. 33 Issue 51, p24
Relates the hesitancy of political candidates on the issue of school voucher programs in Utah in 2004. Statements issued by candidates Jon Huntsman, Jr. and Nolan Karras on the issue; Information on the Carson Smith bill.
- AU protests Texas town's voucher plan. // Church & State;Jan1997, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p18
Reports on opposition of Americans United for the Separation of Church & State to education officials plan of allowing a local public school district to establish a private school voucher plan. Aim of the voucher to ease crowding at district schools; News related to parochial school aid.
- Supreme Court Gives Boost to Vouchers. Chaddock, Gail Russell // Christian Science Monitor;11/10/98, Vol. 90 Issue 243, p3
States that the United States Supreme Court decided to let stand a Wisconsin court ruling which allows public money to fund vouchers for private schools. The inclusion of parochial schools under the private school heading; Comments from Clint Bolic of the Institute for Justice; Why opponents to...
- Colorado Court Upholds K-12 Funding System. UJIFUSA, ANDREW // Education Week;6/5/2013, Vol. 32 Issue 33, p4
The article discusses a May 2013 decision by the Colorado Supreme Court in the case Lobato v. Colorado which ruled that the state is not constitutionally required to increase education funding, therefore upholding the state's Taxpayer Bill of Rights (TABOR) that requires voters to approve tax...
- Heading for a Fall. DUNN, JOSHUA // Education Next;Winter2016, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p7
The article focuses on the restrictions on voucher programs in Douglas County, Colorado by the Colorado Supreme Court. Topics discussed include views of Robert Chanin, the chief counsel for the National Education Association, on school vouchers; notions of the University of Colorado-Colorado...