Driving DirecTV Forward
- DirecTV Adds Additional Mexican Programming. // Satellite Today;10/19/2005, Vol. 4 Issue 203, pN.PAG
This article reports on the Sur Mexico television channel launched by DirecTV, a provider of direct-to-home satellite television services, in association with Sur Corp., as of October 2005. The channel offers regional network programming from Mexico. Sur Mexico, launching later this fall, will...
- Local stations say `no' to DirecTV. Guadalupe-Fajardo, Evelyn // Caribbean Business;6/24/1999, Vol. 27 Issue 24, p41
Reports that DirecTV will have to work hard to persuade three major television stations in Puerto Rico to pay for its satellite broadcasting service. Amount of money the three stations must pay to DirecTV; Positions of WAPA-TV, WLII-TV and WKAQ-TV on the issue; Various alternatives in offering...
- DirecTV Buys Into TV One. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;1/10/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p12
Reports on the direct-broadcast satellite carriage deal of DirecTV and TV One as of January 10, 2005. Subscriber count of TV One; TV affiliates of TV One; Competition of TV One with Black Entertainment Television; Financial interest taken by DirectTV in TV One.
- Remote CONTROL. Mayberry, Carly // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;6/22/2004, Vol. 384 Issue 22, pS-6
The hundreds of monitors inside Broadcast Operations Control are only part of DirecTV's state-of-the-art Los Angeles Broadcasting Center (LABC), which is responsible for meeting the satellite television needs of customers nationwide. Its Marina del Rey location was selected because of its...
- More Dolby from DIRECTV. // TVB Europe;Jul2002, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p38
Reports on the plan of U.S.-based satellite television service provider, DIRECTV, to offer more of its channels in Dolby Digital 5.1. Total number of movie channels and a special events channel to be shown by the company; Premium channels being offered by DIRECTV in Dolby Digital.
- MURDOCH'S AIR WAR. Lashinsky, Adam // Fortune;12/13/2004, Vol. 150 Issue 12, p130
Reports on the success of DirecTV under the direction of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., and describes the competition between DirecTV and cable television. Financial performance of the company; Increase in the number of subscribers; Description of the company's business strategy; Consideration of...
- DBS Execs at Confab: Sky's the Limit. Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;11/3/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 44, p6
Deals with the potential growth of the direct broadcast satellite (DBS) television (TV) industry in the U.S. according to DBS executives who attended the 2003 SkyForum Conference. High-definition TV service of EchoStar; Growth in digital video recorder subscriber base of DirecTV; Voom DBS...
- Study: HD Can Slow DBS Advances. Reynolds, Mike // Multichannel News;3/1/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 9, p32
Reports that high-definition television (HDTV) will be the most effective tool in slowing the advancements of direct broadcast satellite television according to the second half of the annual State of Cable & Broadband study. Comparison on the services and technologies that would mostly lead to...
- Comcast Makes $39.95 Pitch in New Jersey. // Multichannel News;5/23/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 21, p89
Reports on the discount on digital video recorder and free video-on-demand content service offered by Comcast Corp. in an effort to attract satellite subscribers in Northern New Jersey as of May 2005. Price of the service per month.