California's Pension Push
- California Plans Less Borrowing. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;5/17/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31885, p1
Reports on key provisions of the revised budget proposed offered by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in May 2004. Cuts in the second installment of economic recovery bonds; Bond financing for schools; Pension obligation bond plan.
- Legal Truce Is Called in Battle Over California Pension Bonds. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;6/8/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31900, p5
Reports that the administration of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has agreed to a ceasefire with the anti-tax advocate group Howard Javis Taxpayers Association in their legal battle over pension obligation bonds. Filing of a suit by the group opposing the validation suit filed to...
- Schwarzenegger Pushes Spending Cap., $15B Deficit Bond. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;12/3/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31773, p6
Reports on the budget cap and bond issue plan of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Payment of the budget deficit of the state; Expansion of gubernatorial authority.
- A Warning from Westly. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;10/30/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31751, p1
Relates the views of California Controller Steve Westly on the possible impact of governor-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger's plan to put a general obligation bond issue on a March 2004 ballot. Interest costs of the bond issue; Estimated total debt service if the deficit bonds were sold now.
- Schwarzenegger's Plan Calls for $15B of GOs to Go Before Voters. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;11/19/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31765, p1
Announces the fiscal recovery plan of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Identification of general obligation fiscal recovery bond; Details on the final maturity of the prospective bonds; Establishment of spending limit.
- A Governor's Gamble. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/30/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31937, p1
Reports on the bond issuance to provide a cash infusion for California in return for allowing expanded tribal gambling rights. Agreement between Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger with five Indian tribes; Reaction of the voters to two gaming proposals; Generation of additional state revenue.
- California Ballot Doubts: Five Big Bond Questions Face Uphill Climb. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;9/15/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32467, p1
The article reports on the doubt on the approval of the deal of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger with Democratic lawmakers to place a package of huge infrastructure bond measures on the November ballot in California. A recent poll showed that all the bond measures may struggle to win approval....
- Deficit Bond Deadline. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;12/5/2003, Vol. 347 Issue 31775, p1
Reports on the $15 billion deficit bond measure proposed by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to help cover the state's budget deficit. Previously planned bond issues replaced by the measure; Spending cap proposal accompanying the measure; Reactions of state legislators to the proposal.
- California Puts Off $1.5B Sale. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;12/9/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31777, p1
Reports that California has postponed a general obligation bond sale in the wake of collapse of deficit bond and spending cap referendum proposals. Spending cap produced by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger; Reschedule of the sale of the bonds; Support of Schwarzenegger on a petition driver on...