THEN & NOW
- Trials by fire. Henderson, J. // Runner's World;Apr91, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p16
Opinion. Discusses the decision of The Athletics Congress (TAC) to hold the 1992 Olympic Track and Field Trials in New Orleans. Why this was a bad choice; Hazards of heat; Mary Slaney's experiences; Continued criticism on both sides of the issue; More.
- Tips (From The Top). Cooper, Bob // Runner's World;Sep2004, Vol. 39 Issue 9, p52
Presents tips from U.S. track and field athletes on preparing for the 2004 Olympic games in Athens, Greece.
- Faithfully pursuing an Olympic ideal. Lucas, John // Christian Science Monitor;7/19/96, Vol. 88 Issue 164, p16
Describes a track and field athlete's preparations for the Olympic games. Number of running records set and broken; Seasons for distance runners; Awards won.
- Stats. Bloom, Marc // Runner's World;Sep96, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p44
Presents a chart ranking Olympic Games member-countries according to the performance of their women runners in the three women's Olympic Marathons in 1984, 1988, and 1992.
- Gwen TORRENCE. Reiter, Ben // Sports Illustrated;7/3/2006, Vol. 105 Issue 1, p120
This article reports on former track star Gwen Torrence. Torrence won a total of five medals while competing in the 1988, 1992, and 1996 Olympics. Torrence is now a hairstylist at the Nubiance Salon, in Stone Mountain, Georgia. Stone Mountain is only several miles from Atlanta, where Torrence...
- Compelling storylines marked the Olympic Trials 400-meter race. HARMS, JAIME C. // New York Amsterdam News;7/5/2012, Vol. 104 Issue 24, p38
The article discusses the challenges faced by track and field athletes LaShawn Merritt, Tony McQuay, and Bryshon Nellum leading to the Olympic Trials 400-meter race at the U.S. Olympic trials in Eugene, Oregon.
- OTTEY, Merlene. // Black Studies Primer;2008, p357
Information about award-winning track and field athlete Merlene Ottey-Page is presented. She was born in Jamaica on May 10, 1960 and considered as one of the greatest women players worldwide. She was the first woman who reached any final event in Olympic Games. She received thirteen medals...
- Always Optimistic. Henry, Anson // Athletics;Jul2013, p4
The article discusses the athletic career of Canadian track athlete Justyn Warner. It is stated that after being unsuccessful at the 2008 Olympic Trials in the 100m dash, Warner had lost his way for a few years, and his future in track and field did not look bright. However, during his high...
- Whatever Happened to...? Starr, Mark // Newsweek;8/6/2001, Vol. 138 Issue 6, p53
Presents biographical information on Olympic athlete Marion Jones. Wish of Jones for recognition for her accomplishments in track; Views concerning the media coverage of her personal life; Outlook for the career of Jones.