N.J. Republicans to Take Governor to Court Over $1.9B Deficit Bond Sale
- Lawmakers Need To Proceed Carefully On Asbestos Fund Idea. // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;4/14/2003, Vol. 107 Issue 15, p24
Comments on the need for lawmakers to proceed on an asbestos fund idea. Aim of the House legislation to end the litigation system; Enumeration of the abuses in the experienced in the asbestos system; Urge for the Senate to carefully resolve the asbestos litigation crisis.
- S&WB seeks high ground as flood project claims mount. Stuart, Stephen // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);5/20/2002, Vol. 22 Issue 48, p5
Focuses on issues associated with the liability insurance to cover damage claims over drainage projects in New Orleans, Louisiana. Expiration of the liability insurance; Lawsuit filled against the Sewerage & Water Board; Details on the appropriation bills for flood control projects.
- NEW JERSEY SEEKS SECOND IN COMMAND. // State Legislatures;Jan2005, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p7
Focuses on the problem facing New Jersey regarding the absence of a lieutenant governor in the state. Background on the resignation of Governors Christie Whitman and James E. McGreevy; Public officer who serves as an acting governor; Information on a legislation introduced by Assembly Speaker...
- STATEWIDE. // Oregon Business Magazine;Feb2005, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p13
Reports that 13 counties are suing the Oregon state government, claiming it wrongfully shifted $10 million from a state forest fund into the general fund in order to balance the budget. Loss of forest funds hurts the maintenance of state forests on which counties depend for timber revenues; Move...
- A New Take on the Step-Transaction Doctrine. Hering, David // Corporate Business Taxation Monthly;Sep2008, Vol. 9 Issue 12, p13
David Hering discusses Rev. Rul. 2008-25, which denies Code Sec. 368 treatment by applying step-transaction principles, but yet determines the actual tax consequences as if the two transations were independent steps.
- Constitutional Issues. // Assessment Journal;Jan/Feb99, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p64
Focuses on court cases dealing with constitutional issues in taxation. Case of Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp. versus Utah State Tax Commission on valuation of buildings; Case of Robert D. Holloway, Inc. versus Pine Ridge Addition Residential Property Owners on tax levy issue; Case of Walsh...
- Suit May Halt Oklahoma Garvee Sale. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;7/29/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31437, p1
Reports the impact of a federal lawsuit for grant anticipation revenue mechanism on the finance of highway projects in Oklahoma. Verdict of the U.S. District Court on the petition of the plaintiff; Challenge on the constitutionality of a financing mechanism; Effect of the method of financing to...
- NJ. Lawmakers File Suit Against $2.1B Tobacco Deal. Cataldo, Adam L. // Bond Buyer;8/5/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32190, p3
Reports on the lawsuit filed on August 4, 2005 in a New Jersey court seeking to block the state's tobacco restructuring and refinancing deal. Allegation that the current budget violates the state constitution; Filing of the lawsuit by the attorneys representing state Senate Minority Leader...
- RAISING THE BAR. Agron, Joe // American School & University;Jun2005, Vol. 77 Issue 11, p6
Comments on the lawsuits filed to win increases in funding for schools in the U.S. Failure of the proposal of the Texas Legislature for increasing spending for education; Inability of he New York City Education Department to equalize budgets; Concern on the adequacy of budget allocated for...