Return to hallowed ground
- FROM THE BOATS. Cordero, Roberta Reyes // News from Native California;Winter2001/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p10
Reports on the gathering of Chumash peoples on Santa Cruz Island, California to celebrate a historic tomol crossing of the Santa Barbara Channel in 2001. Historical information on the removal of the Indians from the Islands; Description of the first reprise by a tomol in 1976; Discussion of the...
- Chumash indian descendants revive a dormant culture. // Native American Connections;1999, p2
Focuses on the efforts of Chumash Indian descendants in California to revive the tribe's rich culture. Exhibition of pride in their origins though no longer full-blooded due to interracial marriages; Initiative to learn more about the heritage and culture of the Chumash Indians.
- FROM THE ISLAND. Sanchez, Georgiana Valoyce // News from Native California;Winter2001/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p11
Describes a travel going to Sta. Cruz Island, California by Chumash peoples to celebrate a historic tomol crossing of the Santa Barbara Channel in 2001. Greetings from the Chumash people to welcome the group; Description of the island; Activities performed during the celebration.
- Chumash Indian descendants revive a dormant culture. // Hispanic Times Magazine;Mar/Apr1991, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p22
Reports on the renaissance of Chumash culture in California. Assimilation of the Chumash Indian nation into the American melting pot; Tribal organization and geographic isolation that helped Indian nations maintain their identity; Determination of Chumash ancestry through mission records or...
- Tomols. Brooks, Diane L. // California Chronicles;Nov99, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p24
Describes tomols, plank boats made by Chumash Indians in Southern California.
- Count the traditional Chumash way. Tahja, Katy // California Chronicles;Nov99, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p29
Teaches how to count the traditional Chumash Indian way.
- Christianization Among the Chumash: An Ethnohistoric Perspective. Sandos, James A. // American Indian Quarterly;Winter91, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p65
Proposes that we bring the principles of what Robert Berkhofer has termed the New Indian History to the study of the Chumash, seeking to view Indians acting on their own terms, for their own reasons. Missionaries and the quest for converts; Chumash society and the quest for survival; Spanish and...
- The Basket Weaver. Summers, Jacque // Ladybug;Oct2012, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p21
The tale "The Basket Weaver," by Jacque Summers is presented.
- calendar of events. // News from Native California;Fall2012, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p41
A calendar of events is presented including the 3rd Annual Promo Honoring Month at Sebastopol, California through October 31, 2012, the 6th Annual Chumash Cultural Days at Santa Ynez Reservation, California on October 20-21, 2012 and the California Basketweaving at California State Indian...