Lines Are Being Drawn for Summer Battle Over DD(X)
- Up for grabs. Asker, James R. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/23/1998, Vol. 149 Issue 21, p21
Focuses on plans for using the extra $1 billion that Congress gave the Department of Defense for ballistic missile defenses. Agencies vying for the funds; Deadline for the finalization of the Department's spending plans.
- Pentagon opting to fund controversial multi-nation missile defense program. Herb, Jeremy // Hill;4/10/2013, Vol. 20 Issue 39, p10
The article reports on the decision of the U.S. Department of Defense to use $380 million from the continuing resolution passed to fund a joint missile defense program, regardless of a provision in 2012's Defense authorization bill particularly disallowing the program.
- Blurring The Line Between R&D and Operations. Biggs, Timothy // Defense AT&L;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p24
Reports on the initiative of the Missile Defense Agency in embracing the capabilities-based acquisition and spiral development of the U.S. Department of Defense. Progress in restructuring its approach to the development of a fully integrated ballistic missile defense system; Effort to identify...
- INTEROPERABILITY AT SEA PROVES ITS VALUE FAST. Nitschke, Stefan // Naval Forces;2009, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p36
The article discusses the importance of interoperability systems of the Navy in the U.S. It outlines the definition of interoperability, which plays a significant role with respect to modern warfare at sea that requires commitment between individual fleets, forces and units. It explores the...
- Missile defenses face funding difficulties. Wall, Robert // Aviation Week & Space Technology;5/31/1999, Vol. 150 Issue 22, p69
Reports on the difficulties of the United States Department of Defense in finding ways to fund both the US Army's Theater High-Altitude Area Defense and Navy Theater-Wide effort. Funding and management challenge for the Ballistic Missile Defense Organization.
- U.S. Navy Downplays DOT&E Aegis Testing Concerns. Fabey, Michael // Aerospace Daily & Defense Report;2/9/2015, Vol. 251 Issue 24, p4
The article reports on the development of the Aegis combat system and Air and Missile Defense Radar (AMDR) of the U.S. Navy. The naval forces expressed confidence in the further development of the programs despite testing concerns raised by the Department of Defense's Director of Operational...
- Raytheon Delivers Short-Range Ballistic Missile Defense To Navy. // Defense Daily;7/24/2007, Vol. 235 Issue 16, p3
The article reports on the selection of Raytheon to supply short-range ballistic missile defense to the U.S. Navy. Raytheon has launched a partnership with Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab for the modification of the Standard Missile 2 Block IV weapon. It states that the company is...
- BIGGER SHIELD. Kriesher, Otto // Sea Power;Dec2006, Vol. 49 Issue 12, p40
The article reports on the intention of the U.S. Navy to broaden the scope of its missile defense system by enabling it to counter a greater range of threats. The effort is part of the larger Ballistic Missile Defense System, a multilayered network of weapons and sensors being designed to...
- Spectrum of What? Scharre, Paul // Military Review;Nov/Dec2012, Vol. 92 Issue 6, p73
The author offers his thoughts on military combat and defense strategies in the 21st century. He argues that the U.S. military must change and broaden the spectrum of operations to meet terrorist threats with operations such as counterinsurgency (COIN), counterterrorism, and anti-access/area...